Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

What is better in a small one bed apartment with tiny tiny yard? Cat or dog?

Going to ask my landlord if I can get a pet

Update:

Would be an indoor cat..

Update 2:

Kept fish before, do not want now,

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

the problem is ,, taking on the obligation of the animal puts you in a have to not a want to when looking for places to live... 

so I say none until you have cash in the bank in substantial manner where this question is not needed 

the animal shelter is full of dogs and cats dumped after people choose unwisely 

I have 3 dogs none are mine they are other peoples who like you planned optimistically not wisely 

• drip
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Can you, will you be taking that dog out for a walk 3X each and everyday?  At least once for a long walk or to a dog park.  Because that is the least that they deserve. 

Cats need exercise and attention too.  You won’t be outside walking them, but they need to be played with daily.  

For any let you need to be able to afford proper health care. How much is an office visits and shots for the year? Decent food and toys. 

Kitty litter.  ( for an apartment I highly recommend Tidy Cat Breeze system) 

Info on pets should be in your contract. Usually you need to pay extra each month If pets are allowed.

• Malika
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

If you're going to be away for long periods of time, then a dog may not be for you.  They need to be walked and they like the social relationship with their owners.  Cats are fairly independent.  Keep the litter box clean (free from poops) and the cat will be less likely to spray or poop around the apartment. 

Regardless of which pet you adopt, be sure to clean up after it (sweep, vacuum, dust, etc).  The landlord may ask for a deposit- you'll get it back if there isn't a lot to clean up once you leave and move on to another place. 

• 4 weeks ago

Cats tend to take care of themselves and big dogs are better in apartments, as they have low energy.  Alternative could be fish.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Zany
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

The dog will always want to explore, the cat will take what it space it gets. The dog will need to be trained to poop and piss outside and you get up to let them out and pick it up. The cat needs a box. Ultimately, your choice.

• 4 weeks ago

A cat with a scratching post/toy. A dog needs exercise a small yard won't give.

• 4 weeks ago

Furby.  You don't even need to ask your landlord about that.

• Bort
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

If you don't have access to a large yard a cat is probably the better option for you. Cats exercise them selves. They are, generally, loner types. They don't need a yard to run around accumulating miles of exercise every day like a dog does. A cat can get all the exercise it needs in doors by running around, jumping, and climbing all of which are the types of areas you need to have or build to provide to have a happy, well behaved, cat as a pet in your home. 

You surely can manage to provide the exercise a dog would need without a yard, I have done it, it's just more you have to be conscious of and driven to do to be a good dog parent; you have to walk a dog daily and take him or her to an open field where they can freely run around for a good amount of time and distance. Dogs are easier to care for in doors than cats are. A well provided-for and cared for dog doesn't make messes in the home. A cats liter box needs to be cared for (cleaned) at least twice per day. A well cared for dog is less in door chors but has more outdoor requirements. A cat has more in door requirements and much less outdoor things we absolutely need to do ouside with them. A cat is a better option if you don't have a decent sized yard. 

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Get a goldfish. No animal would be happy in such a confined space.

• 4 weeks ago

i think either one would be good

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.