What further paths I can pursue as a graduated Chemist?

I'm 25 years old this year and I'm about to finish my MLT course this year. So I was planning to pursue a degree in chemistry next year as a further step. Does it fit with my age? The graduateship in Chemistry (Graduate Chemist) is an equivalent qualification to a Special Honors Degree in Chemistry in here. 

• Dr W

age doesn't matter.  nor does special honors degree.

***********

here's the scoop.  I can't speak to the medical field.  I don't know who's currently hiring what expertise for MLT's or what advancing your education will buy you there.  But I CAN speak for chemical / manufacturing industries.

In my world, we have two distinct sides of a management line.  On the left side is non-exempt (hourly paid employees who are not exempt from overtime).  On the right side is exempt (employees exempt from overtime pay).  The left folks get an annual wage which is then divided by 2080 (hrs per year) to generate an hourly wage. They then make 1.5 * that rate for hours > 40 per week.  People on the right, get 1 salary and are expected to work more than 40 hrs per week to get the job done.

The non-exempt employees, are considered hourly workers.  The exempt employees are part of the management team.  Salary and benefits are better for exempt employees.  Job responsibilities and upward mobility are better for exempt employees.  

At my company, we hire people with bachelors degrees in chemistry into "non-exempt" lab tech positions where their newly graduated salary is about $54k/yr today.  Benefits include 2.5 - 3.0% annual raises, retirement fund matching up to 6% or so, medical/life/etc.  Their job is literally to measure samples handed to them by other people.  They have little hope for advancement right now.  We do offer tuition reimbursement but there is a waiting list right now.  non-exempts are at the bottom of the list.

At my company we hire MS and PhD chemists into exempt jobs.  Their newly graduated starting salary is $75k or more depending on how badly we want them.  Benefits include an average of 4% annual increase, 10% annual performance based bonus, 10% - 25% stock options, matching retirement, medical/life/etc + tuition reimbursement for things like MBA degrees (exempts are at the top of the waiting list).  Job responsibilities are more like research management, operations management, quality management, etc.  

Also, you might be interested to know that BS chemical engineers are treated like turbocharged masters chemists.  We hire BS ChE's into process, project, development management roles with all the benefits and we're given the green light for MBA programs without even being placed on the waiting list.

At my company, the CEO and VP of operations have BS ChE's + MBA's.  On the engineering side, a couple of us have PhD in ChE + MBA's.  I couple of guys on our middle management team have BS ChE's + MBA's.  NO ONE on our upper management team has a BS chemistry degree (with or without honors).  In fact the only people on the exempt side with BS chemistry degrees are a couple of guys in sales.  But we hired those folks because they already had 5+ years in sales in our particular market.

******

In my humble opinion... IF I were you.  I would continue on and get a Pharm-D degree.  Sounds like you have a great background for that now.  The opportunities are fantastic.  The pay and benefits are outstanding.