Is this letter from Social Security Administration a sign of identity theft?

It says: We are writing to you about your Social Security benefits. What You Should Know. We changed your monthly benefit to $---.-- (amount censored for Yahop Answers) starting June 2020. We made this change because we stopped paying benefits to another person on this record.

Update:

My social security Disability Benefit increased double the amount i originally got, (not the Supplemental benefit, only the Disability benefit got increased). I called the SSA to ask who the other person is on this record. They wont tell me, and they said: Dont come into our office asking who it is, it is confidential.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Judith
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They cannot give you the information you asked for because, like they said, it is confidential.  They only tell you what you need to know.  You do not need to know the  name of the person who is no longer receiving benefits on that record - not only is it confidential but it is none of your business.

You must be receiving benefits off of a parent's social security account.  Your parent either receives a social security disability or social security retirement benefit or is deceased and benefits are being paid to dependents.

Benefits to a child ends when the child turns age 18 or when they graduate from high school.  Benefits can continue if a child is severely disabled before age 22 and isn't married.  So if your benefit is going up that means someone reached age 18 or they've just graduated from high school

There is a maximum amount which can be paid out on any one social security account to dependents.  That amount must be shared.  So if, for example, they can pay out $1500 to dependents and there are 1 or 2 dependents then each can receive $750 a month (no one would receive more than $750 a month).  If 3 dependents then the $1500 is split amongst the 3 for $500 each a month.  If 4 dependents then each would get $375 per month.   You get the idea.

So if someone is no longer entitled then the amount to the rest who are still entitled goes up.  Or if someone new becomes entitled (like a new baby for example) then everyone's amounts go down.

Social Security is required by law to send out notices about changes in benefit amounts at least 10 days before the change takes place.  That goes for notices about rate changes, suspension of benefits and, of course, termination of benefits.  Which is why recipients are required, by law, to keep social security informed of their residence address even if they have direct deposit.

I was a social security claims rep for 32 yrs.

• 1 month ago

Social Security Administration does not contact recipients via e-mail. They only do so through the United States Postal Service. I suggest you simply delete the email.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.