Theoretically speaking, is it possible for there to be space without time?

• neb

The Hartle-Hawking no boundary proposal describes a scenario where the early universe had 4 space dimensions, one of which morphed (through something called a Wick rotation) into a time dimension.

Some theories are more easily described in 4-space dimensions and then mapped backed to the 3 space and 1 time dimensions via the Wick rotation. It can also be done the other way around - whatever provides simplifications.

The Wick rotation is an ‘axis’ rotation where a real valued space axis is rotated to an imaginary time axis or an imaginary time axis is rotated to a real axis. Strictly speaking, this is a transformation of the metric components which changes the spacetime signature of a manifold back and forth between positive and not positive definite (e.g., -1,1,1,1 -> 1,1,1,1)

Whether this corresponds to any kind of reality is unknown.

• cosmo

I don't think our current physics can answer that question.

We don't know why our universe is 3D of space and one of time.  We do know that Relativity connects space and time into "spacetime".

No -- nothing exists without time for it to exist in 

We might design a "space" without time -- but it would really be just a mathematical construct.

Interesting question.... I would *imagine* it's possible - but, without time, there'd be no way to 'experience' it. Existence would be frozen.  Light wouldn't move - so, any entity in such a universe wouldn't have any ability to determine if he had a billion cubic light years to play in, or was in a place the size of a coffin... 

• Orla

Absolutely.  I have all the space I need to work out, but I just don't have the time.