Is it true you congratulate a groom and offer best wishes to a bride? And are there any other wedding etiquette points I should be aware of?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

I don't think in the "wedding book of etiquette", that there are any rules about what to say to each one. Both should be congratulated and offer best wishes, of course.

Weddings do have lots of "rules" for behavior, including etiquette points, but who's looking at them? Just be nice. Be pleasant, If you are the planner, it gets more complicated than if you are simply a guest, or even a participant in the ceremony. You may wish to write again and supply more info , for a more detailed reply. 

• 4 weeks ago

Sunshine_mel is right, it is dated. It used to be one offered best wishes to the bride, as congratulating her for avoiding spinsterhood would be hurtful. I guess one congratulated the groom for successfully hiding what a man-wh0re he was to trick some woman into being his bride. 

Saying, "Felicitations!" (best wishes) won't offend anyone.

• Trish
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

I hadn't heard of that until now.  It seems really rude to think the bride would feel offended unless you actually offended her.  Congratulate both since they're a couple now and give both best wishes for the future.

• Edna
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

You congratulate the groom and you offer best wishes to the bride. Don't  EVER "congratulate" a woman for having gotten married! That would be the same as if your said to her: "Congratulations! - You finally found someone to marry you. You're such a dog that I didn't think you would ever get married". 

As far as wedding etiquette:  Sit through the wedding ceremony quietly. Then attend the reception and have a good time with the other guests, and keep your hands off the bride! if they have a bar,  try not to get drunk.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

That is completely sexist and outdated.   Think about the reasoning behind it.  

• Jerry
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

That was customary way back in the mid 1900s and before. Today it's more usual to offer congratulations AND best wishes to both newlyweds. 

Here are four points of wedding etiquette that often seem to get lost:

When you receive a wedding invitation, acknowledge and respond promptly. Like within 48 hours. Acknowledge is the "Thank you for inviting me/us" part that lets hosts know you received the invitation. Respond is the "Jack accepts, Jill regrets" part. If you can't respond promptly, you ASK the hosts for extra time: "May be have until ___ to let you know?" It would not be incorrect for hosts to respond with "I'm sorry but we'll need to know sooner, by ___." If you can't provide a timely "We will definitely attend" then you must provide a timely "Regret we are unable to attend." 

If you give a gift, either send it before the wedding or after the honeymoon. Don't come to the wedding with a festively wrapped parcel. Hosts are already very busy and don't need the extra burden of accepting gifts, keeping track of who gave what, securing gifts from theft or damage, schlepping the stuff someplace safe to leave it until after the honeymoon.

The wedding celebration is not about "paying" people to witness the ceremony. To witness wedding vows is considered to be a joyful honor, not a distressing burden, so nobody owes you anything for witnessing the vows. Guests are to regard any wedding celebration as arising from the hosts' joyous and generous impulses and not from considerations of "paying" people to witness the ceremony. 

The various wedding related events such as showers, luncheons, hen parties, dinners, cocktail parties, rehearsal and associated meal, are distinct and separate. Each event is controlled by the host of that particular event, not by the wedding hosts. That the groom's Auntie Fern may invite one to a shower or tea honoring the bride doesn't oblige the wedding hosts to include one in the ceremony or celebration. That the wedding hosts may include one in ceremony or celebration doesn't oblige Auntie Fern to invite one to her shower or tea. 

• 4 weeks ago

Just congratulate both of them; this feels weirdly dated

• God
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Don't ask the bride if shes pregnant.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.