Do you DIY dye your denim jeans when faded or you just buy new ones?

• kristy

Never have but some of my favorite jeans are faded light blue

Jeans are made to fade. When Levi Strauss invented jeans in the 1800's he used indigo dyed denim because it softened and faded as it was worn and washes. The fading is what makes jeans look authentic It's the way that indigo dye works and the majority of people love the faded well worn look of denim. 

To reduce the natural fading of jeans turn them inside out before washing and wash in cold water with a liquid detergent made for dark colors. Air drying is best or tumble dry on a low heat setting.

If you do want to redye your jeans there's indigo blue eyes available at craft, sewing and fabric stores. Follow the instructions on the dye package. Don't use the washing machine to dye unless you want your next few loads tinted blue. Use a large cheap plastic bucket that you don't mind staining blue and let the jeans soak a good long time.

So you can re dye your jeans but most people don't because they love and embrace the fade. 

I've never dyed a pair of jeans in my entire life.

Faded jeans are the in thing. Why would you dye them or buy new ones?