Is it possible that one day the moon could actually Collide into the Earth and end civilization?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Only if you believe in the 'rubber-band' theory.

The moon is actually moving AWAY from the earth at 4 cm (1.6inch) per year.

So over the last 70million years the moon has moved 1,700. miles from earth.

The 'rubber-band' theory says that the moon will move away from the earth and like a rubber-band being stretched it will all of a sudden slam back to the earth.

The spin of the earth and the direction and speed of the moon traveling along with the two's gravitational influence on each other puts the moon in a geocentric orbit around the earth.

As I see it if the moon is slowly moving away from the earth eventually the earth's gravitational influence on the moon would be so light that it/moon would just float off into space.

• 1 month ago

The force of gravity falls off with distance according to the inverse square rule. This means that no matter how far you are from a massive object, there is still some influence from it’s gravity. The curve never quite reaches zero. So all the massive objects in the solar system are slightly perturbing the orbits of all the other objects. (our sun is orbiting the black hole at the centre of the galaxy about 26700 light-years away)

Orbits are delicate things. The order of the planets (Mercury, Venus, Earth…) hasn’t always been what it is now. Some planets have swapped order over time, and it’s likely to happen again in the future. Really there is no such thing a ‘stable orbit’.

What I’m saying is that given enough time and some chance encounters, anything in the solar system could eventually end up on a trajectory to hit anything else. Including moon-earth.

So, is it possible? Yes. But not likely and not anytime soon. Civilisation is likely to end some other way much sooner. (Especially if we keep voting for idiots like trump).

• 1 month ago

I don't believe so.One worry less.

• Jim
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Nope, won't happen.

By the time that could possibly happen, we would be so advanced that we could attach propulsion to correct the orbit.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • D g
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not on its own it must be  hit by something

• 1 month ago

No. It is slowly moving further away due to tidal interaction with the earth. 

• Clive
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Of course not.  It's gradually moving away.

• 1 month ago

Why the urgency to end civilization? You don't have to wait for some impossible situation involving the heavens. Civilization has peaked and will soon start hastening into decline and eventual termination due to overpopulation and resource exhaustion. But you may need to be patient. Rome did not fall in a day.

• 1 month ago

The Moon is receding from the Earth several inches a year.

Thus, no.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

After Trump won the 2016 election, i realized that anything is possible

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.