What steps do i take to move Windows 10 from an HDD to an SSD?

I will be installing an SSD into my laptop in a couple of days time in addition to an already existing HDD.I have over 500Gb of games on my HDD and most of them i don't want to move over to my SSD, however i want to be able to move my OS over. Would it be best to delete these games, clone my hard drive and then re-download them. Or is there some other way of doing this that i have overlooked?

Any help would be appreciated

Reset the computer to Factory default Settings then all You will be copying or

moving over is the Operating System Files the Reset process will take about 2 hrs total to complete.

Clone the Drive. or A clean Windows install would be a better idea if you are going to re download everything anyway.

Your OS is nothing special.You can buy an SSD and you have to put it in dash board in storage bay,but first before your computer must be tapped to Shut down.

Thanks for your questions, I just joined

In my dad's system I cloned the drive when I moved his system from a HDD to a SSD, and I cloned the drive again when I upgraded to a larger SSD. This was a while ago and I used a bootable program called Clonezilla. There are now other options like the manufacturer's software and other free to use programs besides Clonezilla. Macrium Reflect and AOMEI Backupper are other programs which you can use.

-You'll have to burn whatever program to a Thumbdrive, then boot off the Thumbdrive. Sometimes if you mash a button like F8 before your PC boots, you will be taken to a boot menu, and sometimes the BIOS has a boot override function. Otherwise you might have to set the Thumbdrive to run first in the boot order. Once the cloning is complete, then set the SSD to be first in the boot order.

-If the HDD is larger, then you'll have to shrink the partition to match the SSD. You'll have to account for the boot sectors as well. 

You'll then have to either uninstall the old HDD or reformat it. Sometimes it you set the SSD first in the boot order in the BIOS, the system will actually boot off the SSD.... what a novel idea.

If you'd rather reinstall the O.S. then you can use the Windows 10 backup program called "File History".... which can be found under "Backup Settings".

I suppose you could create a new partition on the old drive, then move all your games there. However, if you have important files that you can't afford to lose, then getting and then moving your files to an external backup drive might be the best course of action.

• Bill-M

I have done this many times and All I do is Clone the Drive.

I use a Free Program called Macrium Reflect.

Just make sure the SSD is the same size or larger.

mirror software will do this.  comes with some SSDs, otherwise try free downloads at cnet.com

• WayneH

Those answers are wrong and too complicated.  I've installed uncounted SSDs from HDDs.  At the HDD or SSD's website, get their free cloning software.  Put the new SSD into an external USB case and clone the HDD drive to the SSD.  The software will make an exact duplicate onto the SSD.  Simply remove the HDD and replace with the SSD.  Done.  Trust me.

You'll have two exact copies of your software and games.  Do what you wish with the games.

• L.N.

A clean Windows install would be a better idea if you are going to re download everything anyway. You can download Windows 10 from Microsoft free by using their media creation tool to make a bootable thumb drive. You can use that to install Windows on the SSD.

• David

Unfortunately there isn’t a way to move just the OS onto the SSD. You will have to delete the games then clone the drive onto the SSD, then reinstall the games onto the D drive.