Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 month ago

Why don’t home less people use shelters?

Statistics says that a significant amount of homeless people do not use the shelters they are offered. Even when people reach out they still refuse. Why?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Shelters aren't that great. They might work for some people, but they might be too dangerous or simply unfit for others. 

• It isn't for everyone in preference. You should see for yourself.

• 4 weeks ago

Mental Illness is a strange illness.  Many men and some women are very embarrassed and too proud to ask for help until they're so bad off , they are near death.  

• 1 month ago

because they don't like the living conditions of the homeless shelters.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Because shelters have rules and many homeless people don't wish to follow rules (specifically those about not shooting up drugs or drinking). In addition to this a huge percentage of the unhoused are mentally ill in ways that make them claustrophobic. They have a preference to be outside. 

• 1 month ago

Ex homeless I was raped in shelters 

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Some shelters ask money

In many cases people don't feel safe among the junkies and (undermedicated) psychiatric cases they would have to share the shelter with.

• 1 month ago

I haven't heard of that very often, I've heard of them not being allowed in because they've been fighting or missing payments on a previous stay.

• 1 month ago

🥴 That's a load of bull.

In California you need to set reservations for a bed. How many homeless ppl do you know have a phone? Payphones aren't around anymore? And good luck asking anyone to use theirs as a homeless man. 

And that's PER NIGHT. They also get kicked out during the day. Food is scarce. 

There have also been stories of harassment and rape.

And many don't have IDs or proper identification to get in.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

they are usually 'homeless' because they WANT to be ..............

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.