Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 4 weeks ago

Do my coworkers hate me or is this normal?

During my entire pregnancy even at 8 months pregnant, my coworkers never offered me help with any physical task that we have to do at work. They never threw me  a little get together to celebrate the pending arrival of my little one. No gifts or anything. My last day, no one wished me good luck or said anything to me. I’ve been out of work since march. I just came back a couple days ago. No one said welcome back, spoke to me or asked me about the baby.or showed any type of enthusiasm, or ask to see baby pictures or atleast ask me how the baby is doing etc. Nothing! I’m pretty sad about this. I don’t feel welcome. And I feel like they dreaded me coming back or something

• Edna

Get over yourself. Your co-workers aren't required to help you perform your required job duties while you're pregnant; nor are they required to throw you a get-together to celebrate the pending arrival of your child ,or to give you gifts, or to .wish you luck on your last day at work. . The impending birth of your child isn't the high point of their life.

When you returned to work, they weren't particularly interested in welcoming you back, or asking about the baby, or asking to see baby pictures of the baby, etc. You're expecting too much. They aren't your friends - they're just your co-workers; and again, the birth of your baby isn't the high point of their life. They all probably already have kids of their own, and they got over that kind of excitement a long time ago.

There's no reason to feel sad or to feel unwelcome, or to feel that they dreaded you coming back They simply aren't particularly interested in hearing about your baby, nor should they be.

I would find a new job or a new position away from them if you want to stay in the same company. It doesn't matter whether or not you like them or not, or even if they like you. As a new mama, you're gonna need to have a crew you can count on and depend on even if it means starting fresh elsewhere. 

• sarah

Do YOU show interest in THEIR lives? If not, then I don't blame them for not showing interest in yours. If you do, then yes, it's a little weird.

I bet if we showed interest you wouldn't act interested.

Are you annoying? How are we supposed to know when you the person who is present doesn't.

I think that's weird. They are either jerks  or they have come to believe that you are a very private reserved person, and they are respecting that.