Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsBirds · 1 month ago

Do baby birds survive on their own in the wild?

This might sound like a stupid question but a couple days ago I found a baby bird outside, no sign of a nest or mother anywhere and it wasn’t injured. But he was hungry and I know it’s wrong to feed wild animals but I couldn’t help myself, I fed it and it stayed in my yard. I was basically taking care of it since I kept checking up on it. And he was already hopping around but didn’t fly yet. Well the last time I went to check on it, it wasn’t there anymore. I looked around and I didn’t find him. I’m pretty sure I got attached to it since I’m worried about it. Am I just overreacting?

Parents will leave a fledgeling to go and collect food.

They may only return once or twice a day to feed it, depending on species.

Fledgelings are just learning to fly. When the parent returned they would have encouraged the fledgeling to move away from an area where a human was interfering.

probably near zero......take the cardinal for example, in the wild this stunning bird lives about 3 years and depending on your location probably even less......meanwhile. in captivity one survived to over 28 years......from personal experience I have witnessed a redtail hawk standing on a bluejay nest and slowly eating all the fledglings, feathers drifting down....it IS a jungle out there for wild bird survival....

• F

I had this situation too and phoned the RSPB for advice. They said leave it alone as the mother will come back. I said I was worried a cat might get it but they said if I moved it, the mother might not find it and it will starve anyway.

Of course they do! How do you think we have bigger birds flying around? I know it sounds cruel, but you should have just left the thing alone. It would have either survived or died by another animal getting at it. The circle of life and all that. I have seen many smaller birds make it. In April, however, I had to clean up 3 dead fledglings off my driveway. Not all are meant to make it, but they are very resilient little things and have instincts and know what they are supposed to do. Us interfering does not help.

• Ben

If you found him again would you go back to him like an ex?

• Norman

The parent birds would be somewhere nearby and feeding the young one. They wouldn't appear while you're there.