Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

My father died a year ago and my mother, brother, and sister are manipulating my life and lowering my self-worth, can i seek legal action?

i am being evicted while going to travel for work in two days, my siblings are started to maneuver their way into my moms life and manipulating her decisions. my brother has for years but is threatening me via voicemail, text, and calls, and putting me down to feel as if in worthless, my sister and mother do the same just not to suck an extreme, they tell all their friends that im not mentally ok so now they all treat me different or accuse me of mental elder abuse to my mother and father. (my mom slaps me and puts her hand and nails into my neck but is very small person, my dad over the years has WHOOPED my ***, for good reason at times im sure, over the years to the point i fought back but only successful once or twice) my mother puts me down constantly and has made me feel SO low about myself, she even likes to have =people on the phone without me knowing when i am upset or angry so her friends or family will think less of me and therefore say hurtful things and talk about me and my friends behind my back. i have no family i consider them all strangers and bullies. i am stressed out i cant figure out how to put one foot infront of the other and at this point after so much abuse alkmost just want to give in and let them put me in a psych ward for the rest of my life on meds, i know dont want or deserve such but i am suffering bad from all this loss and abuse i feel as if everyone is stabbing me in the back and in tired!

you can try doing that

Anyone can seek legal action. You'll need to find a lawyer who will take your case.

Here's what you can do. You can call the police when your mother assaults you. You can contact your local child protective services if you're a minor. You can move out of this home if you're an adult. You could in theory file a lawsuit against one or more individuals for mental distress. But that would involve getting mental health professionals to stake their reputations on your family being the cause of your mental illness (which is largely impossible to prove) and you'd have to find a lawyer willing to represent you in court. If you're able to pay the attorney out of pocket you'll have a better time finding one than if you're hoping to get somebody to work on contingency. Likely the only way a lawyer would take such a case on contingency is if your family is incredibly wealthy. 

I have a different persepective on this

Often times when a person goes through a traumatic experience (ie a death in the family) in alters ones sense of reality here. Is it possible that the death of your father has caused you to be hypersenisitve to you feel others treat you? I've got news for you, you aren't that important to everyone to warrant them to be out to ruin your life! 

I think it would be a great thing for you to get into therapy, to address traumatic events in your life, and come up with much healthier coping mechanisms to help change your views on life.

Lets play the "what if game" here! What if you wrong and these people in your life truly want whats best for you? What if there isn't a grand conspiracy theory going on? What if its mental health issues triggering things? 

I really think you can get things back on track here, you just have to want to do so.

Sounds toxic and they see his faults in you, or project theirs onto you.

You need to call the police of any physical abuse happens. Stay in your room and lock the door. Find a good paying full time job. Walk to work or take a bus. Find rides if you have to to save up. You need to move out asap. Find cheap rent. Then cut off all ties.

You have a job, so first thing is to find somewhere new to live, even if it's renting a room somewhere.

I have a somewhat similar experience, and my advice is to cut off your family or at least the ones who are abusing you. And if you find that you have to deal with them, keep your cool, be cordial and polite, don't raise your voice, don't let them goad you. Basically don't give them any ammunition they can use against you.

Once you're rid of them, you should find that your life will become so much better.

Blood alone doesn't make someone family. Love does.

Oh dear.  You don't have a very nice family do you. Do you have a counsellor or doctor you could talk to.  Is there anyone in your workplace who knows of somewhere you could lodge temporarily while you find yourself some permanent accommodation?  I think you need to permanently move away from the family home.  It's sad, but your life there isn't at all happy is it.  

• Tj

Get away from all of them..go out on your own, have no contact with them..Do not let them know where you are, change your phone number.

• Kelley

Forgive them.  Move away from them.  Stop talking to them.  Make friends with righteous people.  Ask God to guide you and to give you strength.