john asked in Social SciencePsychology · 4 weeks ago

How do I get rid of bottled up emotions by myself?

To start, I am a very introverted person. I've probably only ever talked about my emotions to one person in my life who is now my ex which caused me to shut everyone else out because I got hurt from it. Whenever I've experienced something that causes an emotional response I've kept it to myself and don't talk it out with anybody. I get ticked off very easily now and I feel angry all the time. My whole body always feels tensed up as if I need to hit something to release it. Is there a way I can get rid of all the emotions I've kept inside myself that doesn't involve other people?

It does help if you learn to control your thinking patterns and accessing the correct emotions. 

I suggest that you learn to govern your emotions with diet, exercise, activities, outdoor sports, sunshine, and some hobbies.

Source(s): The Six Thinking Hats by Ed De Bono Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman

Take up kickboxing, it is the perfect release of those emotions you got bubbling up inside! And then afterwards, you can record a webcam video of yourself explaining your hardships and why you are upset, but do not share or upload with anyone, it is for your eyes only. Forget about it, and then watch it a month later to hear yourself out.

Sounds a little odd at first, but it has positive results.

Source(s): This is what I do.

Try painting or writing stories. 

• Jesere

Get a spatula or big spoon and go beat your bed and verbally go through all that has you down.... This is what we taught the patients on the psych ward, because pent up emotions can make you sick. I taught this method to an angry 9 year old....it helped 

• j153e

Simple and works:  count to 10, while breathing deeply.

Talk to a counselor:  http://klove.com (24/7)

https://www.hopefortheheart.org

Self-help:

"Understanding Yourself" by Mark Prophet;

"For Couples Only."

I don’t know you, but I do know me. Focus more on what you like about yourself. Lay down, get to know yourself. Be your own therapist. Find a hobby to channel your anger. Or just hit a pillow. Throw something. Anything helps. But I do have one thing to tell you. Don’t let other people make loose trust in others. That means your life can easily be manipulated. If he hurt you, yeah sure cry, let it all out. But then you need to show him and everybody else that you know your self worth. Just imagine you are reliving memories. When you get memories of your youth, most people regret not enjoying it more and doing more daring things right? So just imagine it like that! Approach people! People that may be like you. Introverts. Or approach extroverts and ask for help on socializing. Just don’t let anyone control you. YOU ARE BETTER

• Kelley

Pray to God.  He will listen to you and help you.