Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

Do you think it's rude to call a 17 year old girl a child?

• Lita

If she's acting like a child and making a big deal out of being called a child I don't see it as rude.  The fact that you're calling her a girl already means she's a child. 

She is a young lady. ( I hope ) You might get away with it if she is not within earshot but yes I feel that its a bit condescending. At her age she is still trying to find herself and if she gets the idea that you think of her as a child it won't go over to well Give her love and Respect.   Are you like a hundred n ten? 

Technically, 17 is legally considered a child and in terms of life experience, they are limited in what they know.  There is likely still a level of immaturity within a 17 year old (boy or girl) and so referring to them as a child, is more an observation rather than a judgement.

not as rude as making a big deal about it would be 

you may have exposed the problem ... you need to grow up and see the important things and let the rest go 

my question would be.... are you earning a living ?

I did long before 17

• susan

Not necessarily. Context and delivery can make it sound rude, though. 

This isn't personal, because I don't know you. But even if it is rude, it may also be the truth. Maybe the person who said it to you has your best interests at heart and thought you needed to hear the rude truth in that moment.

I was called 'lady' when I was 17 and I hated it. I definitely wouldn't be offended being called a child at 17.

• Isabel

I think it really depends on the contexts.  It could certainly be degrading.

"You are such a child" is not the same thing as "You are my oldest child." 

You've given zero context and context is everything.

We are all children of God and it would be in the manner of the context that  a 17 year old being called a child would matter.

• Ann

Not if you're acting like one.