Basil isn't thriving?

The leaves on my basil are light green and the edges curl up towards the sky. The leaves are not especially flavorful like regular dark green basil leaves either. In addition, the leaves stay relatively small. It gets lots of sun, is growing in new Miracle Grow potting soil, and lots of water. What am I doing wrong?

• frank

It is not only basil that does not do well in store bought soil. To make a lot of volume, and pack it in an attractive package for a reasonable price, they add wood chips to the mixture which is worthless, has no nutrients and prevents sunlight and oxygen to get to the roots of the plants. It is like shutting your plants in plywood. Also, since miracle grow has chemical fertilizers, it is possible that it was too strong for delicate basil.Try composted animal manure mixes with rich garden soil.

• Barry

You are probably over watering. Or at least watering at the wrong time. Basil should be watered in the morning as it dislikes wet roots at night. Seems odd I know but I read it on a RHS website (UK).