Can you be recharged for a conviction ? ?

There was a drink driving collision.. at the scene she said there were no injuries but two weeks later she now filed a claim to my insurance for a soft tissue injury claim. Could the police change my charge now? I had initially been charged for just drink driving and my court date is due in 2 weeks.. my question is could the charges change? The country is uk by the way

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Unless you have appeared in court and either been convicted or acquitted, criminal charges can be amended.

That said, I don't see where the criminal charges would be any different.

The CIVIL liability for any injuries is separate from the criminal case.

• 4 weeks ago

They can always changed.

• 4 weeks ago

No.  You are being charged criminally. Her issues are for civil court (if insurance doesn't cover everything).

And that is NOT what you asked. There is no conviction until you've been convicted. And once you are convicted (or enter a guilty plea), that's it - for the criminal case.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

1 - Yes, the charge can be upgraded during a specific time frame which is well over a year;

2 - It's DRUNK driving, driving while DRUNK; it is not DRINK driving, driving while DRINKING;

3 - I would NOT go to the hearing with legal counsel.

It is NOT unusual for soft tissue injuries to become evident some time following an accident.  Sometimes it's a scam.  Sometimes it's legitimate.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

You can be charged for up to three and a half years if somebody got hurt as a result of the collision and they don't charge you with it at first because they don't know yes they have three and a half years to charge you with it

• martin
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The prosecutors should have the power to change the charges, but it doesn't mean that they will.

• 4 weeks ago

Since you have not been convicted of anything, yes the DA can amend the charges to include the bodily injury. The police and the DA do not convict you, the court does. Until there is a trial, double jeopardy does not come in to play.

• 4 weeks ago

Not sure, but I do know for a fact that soft tissue damage may take a while to manifest after an accident.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.