Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 4 weeks ago

Who do you think is right my grandparents or parents ?

My mom was criticizing the youth of today saying back in the day there wasn’t sleeping around, casual sex, teen pregnancy, drugs, violence. I expected my grandparents to be even harsher critics of today. Surprisingly they laughed. My grandma flat out said, “Girl, Your parents are just trying to pretend like they were so innocent back in the day and like the world used to be perfect but promiscuity is nothing new and the same sh*t that is happening now has always happened you just didn’t hear about it as much.” Thoughts? 

• rick

"The more things change, the more they remain the same".  The rate of unwanted teen pregnancies has been falling steadily since the end of WWII. Back then they still had sex. Pretty much the same way as they do it now. If available statistics mean anything, it would indicate that today's kids are having less indiscriminate and casual sex than any previous generation.

Your grandparents are correct. Its as they said "has always happened you just didn’t hear about"

Unless your mother is 150 years-old your grandma is right.