Joe asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Just want some advice.?

Genuinely don’t know what to do with my life at the moment, I suffer from depression, I’ve been off an on antidepressants since I was 16 I’m now 22, and nothing seems to bring me any joy in life anymore, I have it better than some and I’m worse off than some but nothing I seem to do makes me happy, I’m overweight I’ve been on diets lost a good amount of weight then I loose all motivation and regress back to my previous weigh or put more on, I don’t have a job, I left my previous employment over a year ago after the loss of mine and my partners unborn child, I constantly get **** for not having a job by family and peers, I try to get jobs I really do, I either don’t get any return in communication or I get rejected and through this I have a lot of money problems, I’m currently in about £800-£850 in debt out of buying this I can’t afford to cheer me up when I’m down, which is most of the time. Honestly I don’t know what to do with my life and I’m very close to giving up, any advice would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks for your time

Ever heard of bodybuilding? Martial arts? Creating art? In the meantime, talk therapy, a psychiatrist and better psych meds should take you a pretty good way down the journey to wellness.

Things are going to get better even if they seem hopeless. For example, Mandela spent 27 years in prison. He stayed strong and was released and became president of his country and did a lot of good and had a great and happy life because he stayed alive. I know of someone who was severely depressed for many years and was able to recover and live a happy life. There was a time I felt hopeless and miserable but now I am very happy I decided to stay alive..

Source(s): ..

Go to www.psychologytoday.org and click on TODAY, click on ALL, and you see maybe 100 disorders and emotions that you can read answers by professional members of the organization. Perhaps you can find answers that can return your life when it was young and hopeful. So many mental disorders lack some biochemicals in the brain that cause depression and other disorders. Keep this website available so you can return and read about how emotions urge you to make wrong decisions.

Good Luck.

harrald

Of course you should keep looking for work, but If you're faced with a situation in which employment is a long way off, you have to keep busy somehow. Volunteer work gives you a reason to leave the house and it's something you can mention in an interview. 

Look for reasons to get out of the house. Exercise is very good for depression. You don't have to be an athlete to benefit from exercise. Just 20 min brisk walking a day can help, and you can add to that gradually so long as you don't make yourself sick of exercise with too much.  

Simple distractions like good music or a funny movie can be therapeutic. They take your mind off your problems once in a while. Just don't let them dominate you.

You say that you're not getting any enjoyment out of things. Here's something that people here have said is helpful with that problem. Look all over and do a complete inventory. You should be able to find at least one or two things you like, such as your favorite music or movie. If there's just one movie you like, watch it once or twice. Then, find movies that are like it in some way - with similar story or the same actor. Keep adding to your entertainment supply to give it variety.

Of all the traditional Asian methods (meditation, tai chi, etc.) the one with the best evidence for helping people with mood problems is controlled breathing. I have information about therapeutic breathing recommended by psychiatrists Brown and Gerbarg and PTSD therapist Emma Seppala in my answers. This is safe and requires no training.

People say, "I know there are things that will make me feel better - getting exercise, taking care of myself, straightening up the house and cleaning, but I'm depressed and I don't have the energy." The thing is, people do have energy when they're depressed - as much energy as they always do, but for some reason, the system is reluctant to let you use your energy.

We have to use psychology to coax energy out of our systems. Psychology has some nifty tricks. 

This is a motivation trick that's been used in behavior modification programs since the 1930s. If a task seems like it's too big, think of it as a series of tasks that you can take on one at a time, and start with something really, really easy. Cleaning - start by cleaning for 3 or 4 min and take a 5 min break.

A famous psychiatrist said that when we can't control our feelings we can still control our muscles. If you tell your arms and legs to get you to the bathroom for a shower, they will obey.

Try this when it seems that you're too tired to work. Lie on the couch, close your eyes, and get ready to work by imagining yourself working for 5 minutes. Again, think in terms of taking it step by step and starting with something really easy.

There's lots more in this answer, which was rated Best, 5 Stars by somebody who felt hopeless.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20181...

You need to get yourself a man.  It's natural therapy and anti-psychotic drug.

• Tavy

Joe you need to register with a job agency such as Adecco or Reed, they will only send you for jobs they think you will have a chance of getting, they will also help with your CV.

As for your debts. Contact Stepchange.org a free debt helpline, they can negotiate lower payments for you.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

UK.

• LAN

Why is it that so many weak minded people from the UK keep posting pity me rants here over and over?   Grow up and take charge of your life nothing anyone here says to you will make a single bit of difference until you stop whining and start acting.   See you on the next installment of your eternal pity party.

The SSRI antidepressants are known to cause glucose metabolism problems and insulin sensitivity issues. I gained about 60 pounds pretty quickly when I was on them. They also cause long-term depression instead of actually helping with depression. 

Some of these drugs, particularly the SNRIs I think, as opposed to the SSRIs perhaps, have also been documented to cause hypomania and when that happens they will try to put you on even worse drugs for “bipolar disorder”. That’s exactly what happened to me. And as bad as the anti-depressants were I think it was THOSE drugs that really did me in. But the anti-depressants themselves are capable of extensive damage including actual damage to the brain. 

All of this has been medically documented  but you have to dig for the information on the Internet because the pharmaceutical companies try to suppress all of this. Due to the fact that psychopharmacology is such a huge profitable industry.

I’m only talking from personal experience here. I’ve been severely damaged by psychiatric drugs. That’s why I stopped taking all of them three years ago. But now I’m always depressed. Whereas before it wasn’t as chronic.  

I was reading that the long-term use of anti-depressant drugs actually causes chronic dysphoria. You just don’t experience joy in anything anymore. That’s my situation. I really don’t even feel like I’m living anymore. If I were you I would get off of all the psych drugs them as soon as possible. Do counseling maybe but without psychopharmacology. 

If you ditch the drugs, don’t expect your psychiatrist to support your decision because they never do. It’s how they make a living. Just as they never warn people of the extreme dangers of these drugs before they get them addicted to them For the same reason. 

Obviously if they divulged all the dangers of these drugs to you wouldn’t take them and they would make a living now would they? It’s just logic. And the truth as well. 

Some of us who have done our research about this industry know exactly how it works. It has nothing to do with helping human beings and everything to do with profit. For the pharmaceutical companies and the psychiatrists that push their neurotoxic chemicals. 

I don’t think people ever really recover from the damage these drugs cause..I haven’t...but if you’re younger you have a better chance. I’m almost 65 now so with me a lot of the damage has been irreversible.

Here are some links. I think the first link is kind of interesting because it also deals with how “mental illness” is a cultural phenomenon and in some cultures people who would be considered “mentally ill” in a culture like ours are actually considered gifted and invaluable. So I included that link just in case you’re interested. 

There are many more sources for information about the dangers of psychiatric drugs though. These are just a few. Just Google “the dangers of psychiatric drugs” and will find some.

https://upliftconnect.com/shamanic-view-of-mental-...

http://www.adisorder4everyone.com/dangers-psychiat...

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/p...

• Liz

Have you talked to a professional about the loss of your child? Losing a child whether in utero, stillbirth or at any age is incredibly hard. Where I live people don't talk about it which makes it even worse. The grief you are experiencing could worsen any pre-existing depression. If you aren't able to see a professional there are lots of groups and resources are available online.