Can a furniture store sue me for $451?

This is in Texas.  

I keep getting letters warning me that my account is in review for legal action because it is almost four months past due.  The account started out with a balance of $1800 last summer when I opened it.    The remaining balance is $451 and I’m being told this could be sent to the court if I do not pay a minimum of $280.95 by July 21.  They also say that should this happen, it would result in a judgement and a possible seizure of assets.  I would also not be eligible to open another account with them.  It seems pointless to sue when the amount is less than $1000.  Can the really sue for such a small amount and revoke future eligibility for opening new accounts?  Can they garnish my wages and place liens on any assets I have? 

The likely result is the debt would be sold to a collection agency.  At that point, fees and other costs start piling up, and you could be owing many times the original debt.  If you can't pay the $280 now, call the furniture store and work out a plan with them.  It will be cheaper than just defaulting.

Yeah they can do that.  You borrowed the money, and the contract says you have to pay it back.  

They CAN sue you for $1.00. If they sue, the judgement will be for the remaining balance PLUS the cost of suing you.

They can refuse to do further business with you, PERIOD. They don't even have to claim they have a reason.

Yes.  The company could file suit in small claims court, garnish your bank account and wages if it wins and ding your credit rating.  Just be proactive and pay it.

Of course they can sue for "such a small amount."  They can sue for 10 cents if they are so inclined.  If you lose, you are also responsible for legal costs and fees.

Yes, they can collect in any way they can collect - tax refunds, unemployment checks, wages, bank accounts.

They aren't the only ones who will deny you a charge account.

• Bruce

Can they? Yes... You can sue for any amount. If they are successful, the court can order you to pay their court costs. That could add hundreds more to the amount you owe. 

Will they? Probably not, these things are usually forwarded to a collections agency. 

The court action they are talking about is probably an order to seize the furniture you haven't paid for.  They will resell it. If they get the amount owed, case closed. If they get less than the amount owed, you can be held responsible for the rest. 

The chances are remote that liens would be placed against  your assets but they can certainly do any and all of those things.

Ever heard of Small Claims Court – you know, that place where cases last ~10 minutes?

Now you have.

Yes, of course you have my permission to share with ALL of your little friends. Just do it.

Send me the small amount of $451.00.

I WILL donate it to a local food bank.

They will be able to purchase $1,000.00 worth of food with YOUR donation!

• Judy

of course they can.