Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 weeks ago

Why are some Mothers over protective and even possessive of their sons?

Any ideas?

I notice my mom growing up, was always skeptical and cynical of just the idea of me dating girls. Was she afraid of me being hurt and disappointed by a woman?

• Tj

Some woman just cannot let go and they think they know best for you. If you allow it to keep happening, you will have the most miserable life. No wife will put up with it, and you will loose many good chances to be happy. And many divorces will come your way because you are not using your man nuts. Life is a learning experience, if you get hurt, you learn, but its you to make YOU decision.

A lot of parents are controlling and overprotective of their kids. My mom is, and I know one of my best friend's mom is a helicopter mom to her 2 daughters and one son. She disapproves of anyone they date, and requires absurd things from them like forcing her children away at college to call her every day for at least an hour, and threatening divorce if they study abroad with friends. Most parents have good intentions but take it too far, and some are manipulative and cause trauma to their kids because of their desire to protect them.

maybe shes afraid you'll get her pregnant

• Isabel

Parents want to protect their children.  It’s up to children to grow up.

I can't speak for your mother, but my concern for my own son as he gets older is that our society has taken equality to mean not just that we are more aware of violence against women, but we tend toward seeing violence against males as funny or somehow positive. I don't think there's any way to say this without someone taking it wrong... I'm all for girl power, girls need to be at home in the sciences, all people should be able to wear what they want, have hobbies and careers that are meaningful for them, etc. However, I've also witnessed a lot of parents of girls thinking it's wonderful that they are raising those girls to be bullies because they are "standing up for themselves"... nope, that's not being assertive, it's being aggressive and not okay for anyone.