riley asked in HealthWomen's Health · 4 weeks ago

How do I convince my mom I need deodorant and to shave?

I’ve found out that I have really bad B.O stink coming my armpits for months now, my friends have started to tell me that I’m smelly and I need to shower more :( I’ve been told I need to use deodorant. I asked my mom about buying me deodorant, she said I don’t need it yet cuz she was older than me when she started to use it and she barely needed it. I also don’t think it’s helping my armpits situation that I’m also not allowed to shave the hair growing under there because she thinks it im too young. It’s starting to get gross under there with the heat. How do I convince my mom I need to use deodorant and shave?

• Edna

I assume you're capable of walking into a store and buying a deodorant and a package of disposable razors. If so, buy them and USE them. Unless your mom is in the habit of checking your armpits every day, she'll never know you're using them - not unless you tell her that you are.  

You could save up a few bucks, go to the drugstore, and buy some anti-perspirant (Mitchum is a good strong brand) and some cheap plastic razors with blades included.  You don't need shaving cream – lathering up with regular bath soap will do just fine.

You shouldn't wear a blouse or T-shirt more than one day without laundering it.  Body odor does cling to fabrics, and body heat re-activates it.

Not every girl matures at the same rate.  You might be able to convince your mom that you need these things now, if you calmly mention that you've been teased at school about smelling bad, and even request her to smell a top you've been wearing.  If you volunteer to buy those necessities with your own money, that may convince her that you're serious.

• J

You don’t say how old you are but if you’re old enough to have armpit hair, you’re old enough to shave and use deodorant. Everyone develops at a different speed. I suggest you talk to your mom and tell her that people have noticed that you smell and if if you have hair there, you’re old enough to shave. It’s just part of growing up. If your mom won’t buy it for you, can you buy it yourself? 

it is probably your diet try eating healthy avoid garlic and spicy foods deodorant is basically perfume and antiperspirant is suppose to clog your poors that's not good bacteria causes the smell (if not your diet) so if you switch to anti-bacterial soup that is good they make deodorant soup that is anti-bacterial Dial is good but honestly I never were deodorant and i shower everyday but if i eat allot of garlic my mom tells me i stink

Source(s): my mom's noise

Mom should be aware this happens at your age and should be supportive to help out and get you what you need.

it should be obivious

Do you have an aunt or older sister that might talk to her for you? She is not being fair to you. Is your dad in the picture? Talk to him. Good luck.

Tell her the truth, that your self esteem is starting to be affected by this. My ma let me start shaving because I was being teased at school. Maybe even find an article online that supports your claim that women use deodorant and shave earlier and earlier these days. Heck, even a "my body, my choice" line might not hurt. 

So buy some deodorant for yourself! Jeez, you retarded or something?

• Eva

Walk up to her a lift your arms.  Ask her to give it a sniff and see what she thinks.  Hairy armpits are gross, especially in sleeveless tops.