Does my landlord have to replace laminate? If I request ?

I have lived in my 2 bed unit for about 8 years and we are good tenants not once have we ever got complaint we pay rent on time. My laminate floors in living room and hallways are old some pop up don’t know how many years they were here before we came but they were not new. I was wondering I live in California if I have a right to new flooring after so many years? Or no ? Thanks for helping me out. 

• not

Habitable is required. As I ignorantly understand: worn carpet is habitable but torn carpet is not. I'd imagine poping up tiles is pushing the limits of acceptable.

8 years is long enough that the paint is probably not looking good anymore along with needing other things freshened up as well. I'd request a freshing up the place in general if things have not been maintained. You should already have made such requests by now. It's completely reasonable. The landlord may not even realize you have needs if you have not communicated them. 

Construction is a nightmare when you are living there for many dufferent reasons. As landlord I'd want you and all of your stuff out of the property for that. Most people rent for shorter periods of time and it gives the opportunity for construction. If you want to keep the space but have it repaired you may have some sacrifices to make, like put your stuff in storage and find temporary housing for a month. Making the place new and nice may raise the rent too!

As far as rights. A month to month renter has the right to just move out if they don't like the condition. Someone in a lease may have to right to end the lease early for uninhabitable conditions. 

if they pop up they need to be repaired, if they can repair without replacing, they don't have to replace.  My laminate floor is at least from 1988 if not earlier, and its fine.  there is no right based on number of years, you only have the right to safe floors.

• R P

No, you do not have a right to new flooring.

No.  No rights whatsoever.  However, you may be entitled to a repair/replacement of individual squares that have popped up.  Whole new floors would be installed between tenants.  The liability would be too great to do it while you lived there.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

He doesn't have to replace it, it not exactly an essential item.  Since you have been there so long, you could ask.  He may replace it as a thank-you for being such good tenants, but he doesn't have to. 

If the floors are failing, you should inform the landlord.  This isn't about you getting them replaced as much as making sure it is on record, in writing, that they failed due to normal wear and tear.  That is first as you need to make sure your deposit and liability is protected.

Then secondary you would like to have them fixed and replaced.  No, there is nothing in state law saying they have to replace them.  California is large, however, and there are many local rent control and other laws in place that may apply you'd have to look into.  Assuming none, then it's a matter of whether this is just a nice to have or it's a safety issue.  Depending on your lease status and how much you pay compared to market will influence what the landlord may be willing to do.

You can ask. He/she would probably want increased rent to pay for it.

• A

You should contact your landlord and tell him about the issues, he may decide to fix or replace,  You cannot demand he replace