James asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Should the government ban pitbulls and have existing ones put down?

31 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

No, of course not. However, they should make clear examples of anyone who does dog fighting, like Michael Vick, and take away his rights to ever be in the company of Pit Bulls. I do think Pit Bulls, Dobermans, and guard dogs should never be in the company of children. Large dogs should be considered as dangerous as a knife or gun.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

NO, James. NO, NO,and NO. This is no different than Prohibition. It is NOT THE ROLE of government to LEGISLATE people's MORALITY !!!!! The decision to own or buy a particular breed of dog is a HIGH PERSONAL, HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE choice that the government has no business being involved with. Would you like to have your senator or the president tell you which doctors you can see when you need medical care, James? Or, if you need surgery, dictate to you which surgeon will perform the task, regardless of how YOU might feel about it?

Would you like to live in a country where you have to get papers in order to go visit out of state relatives for a holiday? Or where you have to ask permission in order to go eat at a restaurant? If you answered no to any of these questions, then perhaps you can see my point. Banning ANY breed of dog because of a few incidents involving aggression- even fatal aggression- WON'T SOLVE THE OVERALL PROBLEM, which is HUMAN IRRESPONSIBILITY !!!! These dogs aren't born aggressive or mean- they get that way because people ABUSE and MISTREAT them, and train them to be killers.

And besides, there is no such breed as a "Pit Bull". The correct name for the two breeds which are misidentified that way are the Staffordshire Terrier and the American Pit Bull Terrier. Both of these breeds were developed for a specific purpose. They were never bred to be killers.

• 4 weeks ago

Yes, the government should ban pitbulls. because they are so dangerous that can harm anyone if badly trained. the people should buy puppies of pitbull, train them properly. if this could not happen , government should definately ban pitbulls

• 4 weeks ago

That's a tough one, because they do tend to cause the most injuries of any breed of dog, but there are pit bulls that I've known to be some of the sweetest dogs. In general though, they are very dangerous, so dangerous in fact, they are known to be responsible for a death every 14 days, and I am sure people who own exotic wild animals may have a docile one but that doesn't mean it is not capable of killing somebody. And considering the statistics, we may want to rethink people being able to own one as though it is just another ordinary dog. Perhaps require them to have a special permit, like we do for people who keep wild exotic animals, as some of the statistics in this article are quite alarming: "Pit bulls make up only 6% of the dog population, but they're responsible for 68% of dog attacks and 52% of dog-related deaths since 1982, according to research compiled by Merritt Clifton, editor of Animals 24-7, an animal-news organization that focuses on humane work and animal-cruelty prevention. [...] Another report published in the April 2011 issue of Annals of Surgery found that one person is killed by a pit bull every 14 days, two people are injured by a pit bull every day, and young children are especially at risk." https://time.com/2891180/kfc-and-the-pit-bull-atta...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

absolutely not! they are living creatures and at some circumstances, it may be a good idea but, this breed of dogs aren't harmful to us as long as people train them well (just like any other dog).

• 1 month ago

No, I don't think so.  Not that I would ever own one but there are some good pits out there.  I think if they just did temperament testing & only euthanize the dangerous one & let the good pits stay.

One thing that would be good is to ban the breeding or at least have some control of the ones that are bred.  Right now they are just mutts & not even a breed, there are no standards for them, no regulations & are only registered with junk registries.

Breeding should be like all other dogs & breed to better the dog but no, BYBers are the only ones who breed pits & they are producing some rather low quality pups.  Most have a huge prey drive & are dog on dog aggressive.

Lv 7
    1 month ago

No. They've been banned in various countries and areas. It has not reduced dog bite rates at all in any location. People will simply find another type of dog to neglect and keep in conditions conducive to dog bites. 

• 1 month ago

Requiring all pit bulls to be spayed and neutered would be a more ideal solution.   

They would become functionally extinct

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No, but the people who think pit bull is one word should be put down.

• Greg
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

I'm not sure why you would do that. But what I can tell you, is that this country very badly needs a new president

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.