Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 4 weeks ago

How can women tell that sexism isn’t only a contributing factor in negative treatment they experience, but that it’s  a determining factor?

For example, if a boss promotes a man instead of a woman, perhaps part of the reasoning was his sexism, but at the same time, the man objectively deserved the promotion more?

All manner is "isms" are invoked spuriously to cover for incompetence. But that doesn't mean every charge of one is completely off base. It's those who do this falsely who make it difficult for the honest brokers in such situations. 

Most of the time, it's impossible to tell. Often, a man does get promoted because he's the best candidate. Sometimes people get promoted through reasons of nepotism too, and that's not just men it happens to but women too. For example, my cousin works for her dad in his business and he's promoted her over better candidates and openly admits it to my parents. 

However, there are times when sexism is obvious. I remember a (female) family friend telling me about when she was working in the 1980s. She'd been to an Ivy League school and had years of experience in her field. Her boss promoted a guy in her department over her and when she questioned it, he told her that the "fairer sex are better suited to less intensive duties." Of course, any boss who said that now would be sued for discrimination, but there are still people with that attitude in the world. 

If that was the case, the 'boss' would have to prove that the man was better qualified as the woman, or it would be assumed that he was being sexist..

Women can’t tell for certain, so they presume that without sexism, they would be treated better in every scenario.

What's the other factor? Race?

edit: We are not, or at least I am, not talking about cases where the man was more qualified (legitimately qualified, I don't mean because he had a penis).