Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 4 weeks ago

Why does my laptop keep saying there is a data breach?

I keep getting a message on my google chrome on my laptop that a data breach compromised several of my passwords. It gives me the option to change them, but when I do, they immediately just go right back to saying breached. Is it likely someone is hacked into my laptop? Or is this something else?  Is my laptop just confusing something else for a data breach?

The only bit of context I can offer is that about 3 weeks ago I took my laptop to a shop to get the password removed. My gf changed the password and forgot it, so I was locked out and forced to have to take it to a repair shop to have them remove the password. The old password to get into the laptop is gone, but if I want to edit my existing passwords saved in chrome it asks me for that same password, which I don't know. The time it says the breach happened is the day I took it to the shop.

It says the breach happened 4 days after that day I took it to the shop. Don't remember what I did with it in between besides just logging back into my general sites. Nothing important was breached, not facebook or emails. Just petty things that to be honest I don't even use much

• Mike G

There's a data breach.......

• Lv 7

if you login using a compromised password, Chrome will let you know. to fix it, do the following:

click the 3 dots (top-right corner), click Settings > Passwords > Check Passwords

it will check all your saved passwords, and tell you which ones are at risk.

it is likely a virus or other malware.  run your anti-malware program first.  then manually reset your passwords