Which do you think is the better foundation for morality - secular or religious, and why?

To me, people getting together to set a standard (for example: "the well being of humanity") then determining if actions are in accordance with that standard sounds much better than "Do what my god instructs me to tell you to do or you will be tortured". 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

Secular, of course. If we follow the morality of the Bible then slavery, rape, incest, and genocide are all okay.

• 4 weeks ago

Since it's already a "built-in" feature of humanity, you don't get to make that choice.

• Paul
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

God is the only source of true and objective morality. Secular "morality" allows for the brutal slaughter of innocent children during the first nine months of their lives; the desecration of marriage by allowing all kinds of ungodly variations other than husband and wife. In short, acceptance of whatever is most convenient, without any actual consideration of morality.

• 4 weeks ago

Then you are setting a standard that not everyone can agree on, and that can never be objectively wrong or right.  And because of this, you can harm humanity more than help it.  This is what Marxism is about. And we saw the fruits of it in various State atheism.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Teligious morality is fixed and firm, whereas opinion changes secular morality.

• 4 weeks ago

And you think people getting together can know better than God?

Show me one who is not a sinner.

• 4 weeks ago

Yeah, the Germans did just that, set the standard for morality, in 1930s Germany.  Too bad you weren't a Jew living at that time to see how that worked out.

• WOOWHO
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

starting with a  DEFINITION so that  there is clarity to the topic  several  definition  

MORALITY  refers to what ever is ACTUALLY  right or wrong , which may be independent of the values or mores held by any particular peoples  or culture 

MORALITY   is  the HUMAN attempt to define what is right or wrong about OUR actions and thoughts , and what is GOOD or BAD about OUR BEING who we are 

to answer  a  means is needed  to  determine and define GOOD  to build that FOUNDATIONS ..... Many THEIST  have DISTRACTED from this investigation process by just asserting  the PREMISE  " GOD  EXIST "  GOD is GOOD  therefore what THEIR GOD COMMANDS is GOOD    basically CAUSE they say so  void of  evaluation

so that  means is to form a FUNDAMENTAL BASIS to determine to "BE GOOD " CLASSICAL IDEAS break it down to 5 elements  PLEASURE HAPPINESS EXCELLENCE CREATIVITY HARMONY ....  which is  HUMAN WELL BEING and since as social animals have to SHARE space how our  ACTIONS IMPACT OTHERS and VISE VERSA ... so its REALITY BASED  HUMAN ACTION CAUSE AND EFFECT

a FACT is MORALITY in Humans EXIST DESPITE RELIGION's  EFFECT .....  Psychology today ..... additionally  depending on the RELIGION  or even the DENOMINATION  what is MORAL is NOT CONSISTENT  but based on the PEOPLES INTERPRETATION .. which would  be  PEOPLE  defining what is moral which is what morality is defined   the God is unproven so a God concept CAN be  a  Cover  for mans  desire  to claim  authoritarian -ism   like as toto drew back the curtain in the wizard of OZ ..  Pay no attention to that MAN BEHIND the CURTAIN I AM the GREAT and POWERFUL OZ

• swolt
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I remember the study showing that children raised without religion tended to be more compassionate and caring. Religion teaches you to hate. Secularism teaches you to care about your fellow humans. Crime rates are low in primarily secular countries compared to heavily religious ones.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Probably secular because if you compare them to religious countries; they have a low crime rate and people are usually more free and accepting. Now in most religious countries poverty is high and politics are corrupt. Nothing moral about that. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.