Why should straight men be friends with gay men?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Prince
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

Because of what hidden cameras could show about themselves. Because Joe Paterno and Jerry Sandusky and Republicans taking "a wide stance" in stalls and televangelists being discovered not alone in the men's room. Because Jesus said not to cast the first stone. 

• 3 weeks ago

You might as well ask “Why should straight men be friends with other straight men?” There’s no should about it. People are free to be or not to be friends with whomever they choose.

• Sky
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Because just as with any other man, they could potentially be a best friend.  I'm straight and I have several gay friends, and they are some of the sweetest people I've ever met.  Unfortunately I rarely get to see them and haven't visited with them in a few years.  There is no rational reason whatsoever straight men and gay men can't be friends.

• 4 weeks ago

Friends.

To ask that says you seek just one thing from people,  sex.

Lucky for the rest of society we dont see just a sex object in the people we know.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Why wouldn't they?  If I fancy dark-haired people should I have friends who are dark-haired or should that just be my partner?

• fcas80
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Most men have friendships with men without there being any sexual involvement.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

A lot of straight guys are childhood friends of gay guys, but they just didn't know about that back then. People can be friends, regardless of sexual orientation or race.

• Craig
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

There's no reason to NOT be, (unless you're afraid that other straight men will conclude that YOU are gay because you aren't being hostile to a gay guy).  It IS true that this "guilt by association" thing is made much of by boys in high school locker rooms AND in corporate boardrooms.  For generations it was an iron-clad rule.  If you were nice to a homosexual, it clearly meant that you were a homosexual yourself.  But not so much anymore.

So, assuming you're not scared of the old "if you don't heap scorn on them, you're one yourself" rule, there's no reason not to be friends with a guy who's cool - just because he happens to like guys.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Have you heard of friendship? It's possible to have non-sexual hobbies and personalities in common.

• Ian
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

Why shouldn't they? I have friends who like different sports teams, like different kinds of music, like different types of girls. They won't ever change MY mind to like what they do, I respect their choices as well. Are YOU afraid they might change YOUR mind?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.