Is appearing unconfident a good way to get out of jury duty?

The lawyers and judge will see right through your act and pick you.

No, in fact most defense attorneys would prefer it. 

You really want to get out of jury duty stink....a good stinky gym shirt....even a sticky feet order would work......You'll be out the door before you get in.....

• kswck2

Nope. They have already seen ALL the ways to get out of it. 

• Lili

No.  There's no particular reason why that would cause one or the other side not to want you.

The best way is to indicate that there's a reason you wouldn't necessarily be able to decide a verdict objectively. The last time I was called, for an armed robbery case, I was asked whether I or a relative or a friend had ever been the victim of a gun crime.  I answered truthfully that a family friend had been murdered in a gun crime. When asked whether I would be able to remain objective about the case, I hesitated.

I knew very well that the defense wouldn't want me, and it didn't.  It helped, too, that I was by far the best-educated member of the jury pool.  Advanced education also tends to be something lawyers don't want in a juror, though that is not a hard and fast rule.

• TB12

No, you would look like someone that can be easily swayed,, exactly what the attorneys are looking for in a juror.

• Just tell them you know both parties, that's an automatic out

• Barry

No. You need a genuine reason to ask for excusal. What's your problem? I found it fascinating when I did it.

The best way to get out of jury duty is to be smarter than the lawyers.