why is my truck running hot? ?

I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3 in it.  It started running hot so I had it flushed, installed a new thermostat, installed a new water pump and also installed a new coolant temp sensor.   I did all that and it’s still running hot.  I can’t figure it out.  It’ll get to about 230 and stay there.  I was wondering if my transmission fluid might have anything to do with it since the fluid is pretty old and brown.  

Have the cooling system pressure tested. It will boil over if it doesn't hold pressure. If it has electric fans, make sure they cycle on and off like they should. GM temperature switches are not very durable, so check that and check the fan relay. When the truck is moving though, it will get more airflow than the fans provide. I doubt the transmission is kicking in enough heat to cause this, unless it's constantly slipping.

Yeah, the manual has suggested maintenance schedule. Unless the trans is maintenance dat the proper time, it will cause all kinds of problems. 230 is high (210 - 215 is normal). Is the right amount of coolant used?

I would have the codes checked. I suspect a head gasket leak.

Many GM motors don't have the radiator fan engage until 235 degrees Fahrenheit. The ATF has nothing to do with it but I'd drop the ATF pan and change the ATF filter and ATF if I were you. If the ATF is not pink or red you're doing damage to the tranny.

• CB

Test the temperature sensor - you are swapping parts by trusting the gauge - attach a thermometer probe near the big hose at the top of the radiator (against the metal) see what kind of temps are read at that location.

Source(s): 89 Wrangler Laredo started displaying high temps, temps at radiator never over 205, sensor ohmed out correctly replaced gauge (no help) replaced flexible motherboard no help....never figured out the cause but it never overheated and ran great for many more years.
  • bo

you got it backwards the radiator cools the transmission fluid so that isn't causing the problem. best bet now is find a shop to look at it before you start throwing more money at it

Source(s): transmission man
  • Ron

why don't you toss more money into it and see what happens.. by the way. 210 is stock temp