Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

How to gain motivation in order to study ?

I would learn new languages, better understand politics, psychology, anatomy, bio-chemistry, and all kinds of stuff. It's really fascinating to me, but I can't ever seem to get the motivation to start, or if I do start, I never stick with it. Any advice on how to do that?

• Tasm

It is best to put study in context. Suppose you want to study something one hour a day. Leave the house. Go to the library, or somewhere else. Do that every day at the same time. For that one hour, all you can do is study, and when the hour is over, the do anything else, but study. The problem is people want to study, but always find something better to do, so why do it now when it could be done later, which turns out to be never. At the same time, you don't want 10 hour cram sessions because that is so miserable you never want to do it again. So I think the balance is tiny, but consistent chunks of study. Don't study at home because your brain won't turn it off. You will feel your brain switch gears. When you leave the house it will go into study mode, and when you leave the study place, it will be in fun and games mode.

Ask yourself "Why  do I want to learn ...."

Take the answer and make a board to promote the motivation.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=how+to+make+a+motiva...

I would break down the task into easy to test bits. Make a ladder in the middle of the board, each run to be a testable bit. Celebrate each run.

Behaviour rewarded will be repeated.

The man in this video came up with a brilliant idea for learning new skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MgBikgcWnY

Youtube thumbnail

&t=942s

I'll tell you a couple of simple tricks that I've found to be very useful. I used to have a terrible problem with procrastination, and these things helped me greatly.

This is useful for all kinds of things you don't feel like doing. If a task seems like it's too big, think of it as a series of tasks that you can take on one at a time, and start with something really, really easy. Cleaning - start by cleaning for 3 or 4 min and take a 5 min break. Or start by just cleaning the kitchen counters. Homework - start by proofreading a paper or by previewing a chapter you're about to read, looking at headings, sub-headings, etc.

Short breaks are good but always watch the clock. Look for natural breaks, like after you finish a chapter or write an outline.

Staying on task - if you find yourself dawdling, wasting time while you're working, here's a simple fix. Decide how much time it will take to get a task done and do it in that time, watching the clock.

A famous psychiatrist said that when we can't control our feelings we can still control our muscles. If you tell your arms and legs to get you to the bathroom for a shower, they will obey.

Try this when it seems that you're too tired to work. Lie on the couch, close your eyes, and get ready to work by imagining yourself working for 5 minutes. Again, think in terms of taking it step by step and starting with something really easy.

When I really am too tired to work, I can sometimes use the couch method to come up with a good idea that I can jot down and work on later.