A colony of wasps recently made a nest in my compost bin.  The structure looks like cotton batting.  What species might these be?

The structure looks like cotton batting, 2"-3" thick, forming a layer about 18" diameter, the full size of the bin.  I was stung maybe 10-12 times when I lifted the lid of the compost bin to add more kitchen scraps to the bin.  This was the first time in a week or 10 days that I opened the bin to add more material.  I believe these insects are wasps, not bees, since I did not find any residual stingers in my skin after being stung.  These critters were very fast and aggressive so I did not get a good look at them, but they did appear to have yellow and black stripes.  I live in Carroll County, Maryland, just west of Baltimore County.

What species might these be?

P.S.  A commercial wasp/hornet spray knocked them back enough so that I was able to open up the compost bin and remove the nest.  Even so, I took another sting while doing that.  I wore a heavy winter coat with a hood and was wearing heavy work gloves, but one insect still found an opening to get me in the neck.  No particular damage to my health other than I had to apply baking soda to the sting to neutralize the effect of the formic acid.  I'm not allergic to insect stings so I did not have to visit the local Urgent Care facility.

yellow stripes... probably yellow jackets. They are rather small wasps. And  very aggressive.

Sounds like paper wasps (their nests are sort of circular and look like they are made out of grey paper)