Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 3 weeks ago

Is my oil drain plug going to fall out?

Ok so I changed my own oil for the first time. I tightened the plug back up with a little 13mm ratchet wrench. I turned the plug with the wrench until it merely stops, and I didn't have the arm to spin it more since I was kinda in an awkward position under my car. They said that I am supposed to turn it like a quarter turn cloakwise but I didn't have a long bar to supplement the little wrench i used.

Any one else who drained their own oil: Have you ever put the drain plug back on like you would putting the cap back on a water bottle, and has it ever fallen out as a result?

Here's the thing about oil plugs. They don't hold things together like other fasteners. They just plug a holes. But a lot of guys don't understand that and will wrench them until the threads strip!. An oil plug only has to be snug down just enough to keep the oil from dripping out. That's all. It will not work loose on it's own and the oil will not force it loosen up either. just snug it down tight and it's good until the next oil change.

It needs to be tight enough to not unscrew and that's likely what you did. When you overtighten the plug, you and the devil won't be able to get it off again without a long breaker bar. If you aren't strong enough to open a jar of pickles, it would be good to have a friend check the plug for you, but don't overdo it or you'll be sorry next time you need to do an oil change.

Not a QUARTER TURN.(that only applies to oil filters as they have a rubber seal.

.  That is how you strip it on an oilpan.  Just tight so it does not leak, like look the next day and see if it is sweating oil from the plug.   Then the question is...did you replace the oil plug washer gasket?  (It is either copper,aluminum, black rubber, or plastic.) Steel bolt to steel pan is NOT A LEAKPROOF SEAL.  Never will be.. Rechecking is just looking under with your eyes so you can see the plug easily.

.   You are using a wrench which is more than just finger tight(so wrench is better and enough) No need for lube either as everything already has oil lube on it.

40+year mechanic

Yes, it might. SINCE YOU LACK TOOLS, JUST TAKE IT TO A SHOP AND ASK THEM TO TIGHTEN IT. A decent shop won't charge for less than 5 minutes of work. Or just go buy the proper tool and do it right yourself. It's not rocket science.

You don't need a torq wrench. After you drain it, use a dab to lubricate the plug.spin the plug finger tight, then a socket to tighten it. Stop when it's snug. It won't fall out. If you want, give it a little twist after it stops. The filter goes on hand tight ( lube the black ring & threads) & then 1/4 turn with a filter wrench.  Put in the proper amount of synthetic oil. Wait a few minutes for the oil to reach the pan. Start it up & the oil light should go out, look for leaks. Take the used oil back to where you bought the new oil. They'll take it - no charge.

If you don't even know how to tighten a bolt, what the hell are you doing playing "lube boy"?  did you use a new drain plug gasket? How did you get the oil filter off? Where you going to dump the old oil? It's people like you that end up draining the automatic transmission instead of the motor and ruin your vehicle.

Buy a 13 mm spanner so you can finish the Job

This is something that must be done properly.  Probably you turned it tight enough, but it is not worth the risk.  Take it to a garage and have them check it.

Go to a garage with a lift and get it torqued.  The bill will be a lot cheaper than a new engine. It might also be time to get an alligator jack and jack stands.

• Ron

you use a long bar to tighten a drain plug and you'll be installing a replacement plug for stripped threads