Why is the Sound of Music movie still filmed in Austria even though the actress is English while the actor is Canadian?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

The original story took place in Austria.

Source(s): My father knew some of the von Trapps.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I think what you're asking is why the actors weren't Austrian. The movie is based on a true story, so of course it was set in Austria. It was a Broadway show first, and it would have been difficult to find Austrian actors in the US for all the parts. For movies, actors were chosen at that time largely on how much of an audience they would draw. For example, Julie Andrews was in the state production of My Fair Lady, but producers of the movie didn't think she was well known enough, so they cast Audrey Hepburn instead. Casting decisions were not made on the basis of authenticity at that time. 

• Leo
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Since when does the actors country determine where a movie is filmed?

• 1 month ago

Because the story is based on a real Austrian family, the von Trapp family, but the film comes from the USA and was adapted from a musical by Americans (Rodgers and Hammerstein). The cast involved American, Canadian and British actors, anybody who spoke English.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Cogito
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

What difference could it possibly make what nationality the actors are?

The story is set in Austria.  So naturally it was filmed in Austria.

Actors of any nationality can act in any country at all.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Because its set in austria. The movie's filming location is usually dictated by the plot, and never by the cast's nationality

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.