Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

What can you say to a person who is suicidal? ?

It's difficult to talk to someone who says they are suicidal. It almost seems like any answer has a negative side to it. We can't say generic things like "It gets better" because for some, it never does. I get that for the most part it's a case by case thing, but what would be the right thing to say to a suicidal person? 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Your ability to help in a situation like this is very limited. You can be a good listener, and you might be able to help them take their mind off their problems for a while, but you're not a therapist. When people play amateur therapist, it's like playing amateur brain surgeon.

I'll give you some good info about coping in a moment of crisis from DBT, a therapy shown to help people who are very suicidal.

The most important thing is knowing how to cope in a moment of crisis. It's very important to calm down. This will make you feel better and let you think clearly.

A very easy way to calm down is just to breathe slowly. A doctor recommends inhale to a count of 4, exhale to 6. You'll feel better in 5 min or less.

Also, simple distractions can be very good. This video has suggestions. It also has a very good hotline. No one will bother you if you call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yBXl81QPyY

Youtube thumbnail

&t=7s

• Jesere
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Letting them vent their anger and frustration is a good thing, ask questions which let's them do this

• 1 month ago

If someone SAYS that they are suicidal, it's an opening for a conversation, Most times I believe it's a cry for help. Believe it, or not, it's more about listening and then saying something.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.