Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 4 weeks ago

Do you have to change your last name after you get married?

I like the style of my name so I don't think I would be too okay with having a name change. Also I'm a guy and I'm talking about a same-sex marriage and I only say that so I make it clear I am a guy. I just kinda really like my whole name though and it would sound weird on both sides. So can you get married without changing your last name?

Right-o, you can keep your same name, hyphenate both of your names, take your spouse's name, create a totally new one, to your liking.Just be sure that you continue to keep the same records with things like social security, for later on.

Yes you absolutely can

As a successful attorney in her own right, Hillary Rodham did not take on her new husband Bill Clinton's last name at first when she became Arkansas's First Lady. However, some of the more rural and less sophisticated folks in Little Rock chose to be offended in those days, so what Hillary did was add a hyphen, keeping both her maiden name and the married one: "Hillary Rodham-Clinton."  Nowadays we get to do pretty much as we want on this issue.  Follow your heart.

You can.  But consider the issues.  "Till death do us part"  OK so no one actually believes this any more.  But I was a child until 18.  I have been with my partner for 50 years already.  Is it more convenient for people to know that we are together than to know what I WAS?  I think so.

• You can be called ANY name you want.

Not necessarily.   You can, or keep your own name, or hyphenate both names, or both take a new surname.

Peace.

nope, you don't have to ................................

Nope.  Name changing is optional.  And there are other options.  My daughter in law took my son's family name when they married, but kept her family name as her middle name.  So she goes by Amy Smith Jones to illustrate.

BTW:  You asked the question twice, but in antithetical condition.  So when I say "nope" it's to the first embolden question you wrote.

Honestly, in modern society with these new non binary standards, you don't have to do anything you don't want to.  Tradition aside, keeping your surname or at least using hyphenation, seems to be the norm nowadays.  Even if it wasn't 'acceptable' to most people, whatever you and your partner decide is between the two of you.  Whether its a same sex union or a hetero union, free will should always play a part in these decisions (IMO).  

• Kyle

you can take both names if you want and use a hyphen.  last name - last name.  

otherwise no, you don't have to change your name, but that should be a discussion between you and your partner.

good luck.  

You don't have to change your name.