Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceOther - Business & Finance · 4 weeks ago

my co worker tested positive for covid 19 yet my company appears to careless what options are there ?

They offer no apologies, say I can't use vacation time or sick leave.  Oh your go worker tested positive for coronavirus.  No offering any kind of finical help even though I let them know I have three roommates which one of them is a six year old female child.  I am now missing three weeks of work.  Other than workers compensation or unemployment in any future event what should any business be offering it's employees if they come in contact with a co worker with covid .  

Human resources is the one that called and notified me in the first place.

Yes I was told to stay home until I get tested and results come back.

If I quit no unemployment benefits.  Not best thing right now looking for work with this covid crap going in now. 

Yes I wear a mask, use hand sanitizer, wash my hands.  I wipe down the company smartphone since it is shared between different officers as we are security guards.

Contact your state labor department

Sorry to say but your company is not obligated to give you any financial help. Nor are they obligated by LAW to allow you to use sick time or vacation time for self-quarantine.  However, you should contact your local authorities about any unreasonable attitudes about protection for their employees. 

If they are disinfecting, if they are sanitizing, and mandating mask wearing, then they ARE complying. You didn't say whether or not they were. 

You are going to come into contact with someone who has had or has now got COVID-19. They can't control that. YOU control that. If your company isn't in compliance with local regulations about safety, then YOU can be. Just because you are not working doesn't mean they have to do something. You have to take responsibility for your own safety. 

"comingt into contact with" is not really a problem. The problem arises when you get sick and cannot work.  Sounds like you are doing a preventative self-quarantine - which is not very meaningful. Wear a mask (etc) and go to work. If and when you do get sick, then you can use sick time.  The fact is the coronavirus will always be out there.

The best health precaution you can take, besides social distancing, hand washing, mask wearing, and twice daily checks of your body temperature is to remember, next November, to

MAKE IT EMPHATIC

VOTE STRAIGHT DEMOCRATIC

A six year old isn't your room mate. She's a child, and she has two parents who are responsible for her. You aren't responsible for her. If your other two room mates are lazy layabouts who choose not to work, that reflects of their character, it doesn't make your employer obligated to support them. 

Did your company order you to stay home? is the business closed? Unemployment should kick in. If you're staying home because you want to, that's on you. If your colleague did something stupid and came to work sick, that is his or her fault, not your employer's.

Nobody holds a gun to your head.

Nobody is pointing a gun to your head, and saying if you leave then I will kill you. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO LEAVE, AND QUIT!!!

I got tested twice, for the covid-19, and my results were negative.

I am self employed, so I work, for myself. I don't work side by side with a lot of people. People who work with a lot of people side by side risk getting infected.

If an employee comes in contact with another one, and that person is sick then it's your f**king fault. The covid-19 pandemic has been on the news, for a long time now, so if you were to choose to work side by side with someone who is sick then that's your choice, so if you get sick then that's your fault, and problem too.

I think the company doesn't have anything to apologize, for!

You have the right to say I QUIT!!!

"what should any business be offering it's employees if they come in contact with a co worker with covid"

Businesses pay employees to work. The federal emergency 14 days paid sick leave may apply as well as the emergency paid FMLA.    Specific criteria need to be met.  As you stated, there is also state unemployment, the $600/week federal unemployment bonus and worker's comp.On what basis have you been absent from work, wee little troll? 

They should close down or get tested and if u do have it let them quarantine you.

Why would your employer offer you anything?

Do they offer anything when you get the flu from a co-worker? no

Do they offer anything when you get a cold from a co-worker?  no

Why would covid be different?