Anonymous

how true that many "African americans" dont really look like "Africans" anymore?  why they still claim to be "African americans"?

examples, Barak Obama- Former Us President, Bubba Wallace - Nascar driver, , Keisha Bottoms- Atlanta's mayer,  Lightfood-  Chicago's mayor....Snoop Dog, etc etc

in fact most "black people" today look to be as much somethings else than they do african american? when became this way

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Barack Obama has unusual ancestry for an Afrikan American.  Also, please remember that people of North Afrikan heritage, such as myself, don't look like that either, even if we're 100%  Afrikan.  Having a conceptual barrier between White and Black people reinforces the idea that we are all different when in fact there's a gradual blending of characteristics between Southern Europe, the Maghreb and Afrika south of the Sahara.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

In my humble opinion unless they came from there they are American Africans.

I didn't come from Ireland but I am of Irish descent. I'm American and proud of it.

The American Africans need to get a grip on reality. Their own kings sold their people and others;   not just us white honky crackers bought them. it was global

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Reality does not comply to your idea of what people "should" look like.

They don't "claim" anything. The word "african-american" became fashionable because "kneegrow" fell out of vogue, and slaves weren't allowed to keep their ancestral language/culture/ethnicity

• 1 month ago

It's impossible to distinguish an African-American brother from a non-AA brother using appearance alone, we've been here too long now for that to be an effective method.

Barack Obama is our brother but he's not African-American.  Huey Newton was African-American.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Dude, this cuts both ways.  You're all so obsessed with being "caucasian" that you've completely missed that you'd be a fish out of water if dropped into "Europe," you know, that whole continent teeming with diverse ethnicities and languages.  You've been mixed, and mixesd, and mixed up some more and don't even notice because you're so obessessed with not being "black."

• Paul
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Who cares? Every person is an individual, separated from other individuals by hundreds of different characteristics, and the shade of their skin (of which there are hundreds of varieties) is one of least meaningful characteristics of all.

• F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

It so you can keep going on about slavery and hope to get some compo. 

• Baal
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

"African American" just like "Italian American" or "Irish American" denotes cultural heritage, not race.

• 1 month ago

Africans don't all look the same.  Though most African-American persons' ancestors were kidnapped from West Africa, multiple generations of rape by white slavers have made many African-Americans literal monuments to the slavery that stains our history.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/opinion/confede...

• 1 month ago

Because of race mixing and interbreeding 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.