Why is the warm weather worsening the Coronavirus outbreak?

Now that warm weather is upon us, Coronavirus cases are surging more than ever. And the two warmest states, Florida and Texas, are not in big trouble with the insanely high infection rate. Why is warm weather making this worse? Don't viruses go away during the summer?

Update:

Meant to say, "now in big trouble"

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

My understanding is that viruses like flu tend to become less pronounced in the summer because people are spending more time outside and away from other people.  But with covid the current spikes we're seeing seem to be related to places which ended, or at least eased up, on lockdowns.  In that case, people who had been cooped up seem to have flocked to bars, restaurants, beaches, etc, and ended up catching the virus.  We also know that covid is much more contagious than your ordinary flu, which means its easier to spread.

• 3 weeks ago

Unfortunately, that is part of the nature of this ugly evil virus.  Back in March when they all were talking about how the warmer weather should disolve the coronavirus like it does the Flu, I KNEW that something was wrong there.  I knew absolutely for sure that the warmer weather would not ever do a f*cking thing to help curb the virus in the very least.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Too many people protesting, going to the beach, going on vacation. Warm weather brought people that had been locked in their homes for months out in droves. THAT spread the virus.

• Andy C
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

The prediction of a decrease in cases during the summer has nothing to do with warmth; it has everything to do with people being OUTSIDE vs. Inside, sharing germs 

In states with open beaches, crowds create germ sharing,  especially when social distancing and wearing masks doesn't occur. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.