Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 weeks ago

Weight loss advice/tips?

So I decided I was unhappy with the way I looked and unhealthy and decided to try losing weight on May 22, 2020. I have been working really hard, doing at home HIIT workouts from YouTube 5-6 times a week and eating clean and as of July 9th I've only lost 10 pounds (I started at 177lbs & am now 167lbs) I am just struggling because I expected to lose 10 pounds in a month but its taken me a month and a half. This is the longest I've ever stuck with a weight loss journey in my life and I'm just getting discouraged because I feel like I'm not making as much progress as I'd like to. I just want any advice from people who have lost weight on if I am losing it at a good pace or if you have any advice for me. I drink a gallon of water a day, eat fruits and vegetables and eat lots of protein. I want to lose up to 50 pounds all together so I  can get at a healthy weight for my height (I'm 5'1). I of course want to lose it in a healthy way so I can stick with it for the rest of my life.  Any helpful advice would be very appreciated!! thank you

• Imp

Everybody makes less progress then they would like to. If you want better results consume less and or burn more calories!

First of all, well done for making the changes to improve your life how you want! That alone is harder than you probably realise. 

You are losing the weight at a healthy pace, and making progress, be happy with what you're doing! Each person and each body is different and we will all lose weight at slightly different rates. If you want to lose weight for the long term (i.e. keep it off for life) then it is better to lose it more slowly as it shows the changes you're making are sustainable. Crash diets work short term, but you can't carry them on forever. 

My advice would be to make sure you are enjoying the workouts you are doing. That's the most important part of ensuring you stick to it. Maybe try doing the HIIT 3 days a week and something else the other 2 so it introduces some variety? If you enjoy what you're doing it no longer becomes a chore.

Keep going!

• Alpha

I don't know where you got the idea that you can lose 10 lbs in one month. If weight loss was that easy, everyone and their grandmothers would be fit and trim. The realistic AND healthy rate of weight loss is 4 to 8 lbs a month depending on your age and body fat percentage.

The problem for you is that like many people who want to lose weight do not want to take the long term view and want short term miracles. You also are making it more difficulty than necessary by using HIIT workouts when it is nothing but a fad and all you need is aerobic exercises which are the most efficient way to reduce body weight

Aerobics are simple exercises anyone can do. Examples are: fast walking, jogging, using an exercycle, elliptical, or treadmill, and even dancing qualifies as aerobic exercises. High intensity exercises like HIIT do not even burn that much calories and you are nothing going to be able to sustain the pace and intensity over the long term and by that I mean the rest of your life.   Aerobics are done at a pace and intensity lower than cardio. You should feel as if you are on the edge of being able to carry on a conversation without losing your breath.  You use your major muscles in constant steady motions while breathing regularly. You do these exercises 4 to 5 times a week at least 20 minutes per session. 

Which would you rather do? HIIT for the rest of your life or aerobics?  Which do you think you are more likely to keep doing for the rest of your life? It has to be the rest of your life because weight loss can only come about from a lifestyle change.  Anything else simply means you want to eventually  go back to what you were before and gain the all the weight back.