Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 weeks ago

How many people do you really think are racist? 1% of population? 2 %?

It seems we live in racist paranoia. I would venture to say 99 percent of people are not racist (and least not the official definition). Is it worth changing history for 1 percent of people?

There are a lot more gays than racists out there. 

let's focus on common sins and stop drudging up the past

Probably closer to 1.6%

100%.  Everyone is racist in some way, and 100 years from now people will marvel at the things you take for granted and condemn it as racist.  I think the concept of racism itself is racist, as there is only the human race, and if we take into account skin color, I would be considered a different race if I got a sun tan.

I refuse to identify with your racial characterization.

• gillie

I think it's far more than that.  I was just reading about the NextDoor app and how people are realizing just how many of their neighbors are racists by the things they post.  It's certainly not 1%.

Over 50% or there wouldn't be such a racist world.

Being called "racist" is like being called "hater", "bigot", "sexist", or any other stupid name.  It's just a word.  Virtually nobody I know personally would qualify for the term "racist", yet the word is used on most everybody at one time or another.  Which means the word is actually meaningless, so laugh at the person that uses it.  They are deserving of scorn.

I would say that 70%+ of the population in America is racist.

It is not racist paranoia when black people are stopped by the police disproportionally, more likely to be charged, more likely to be convicted, more likely to get a longer prison sentence, more likely to be killed . . .

There are plenty of studies that back this up, that adjust for socio-economic position etc.

Just because you do not want to admit that American society is fundamentally racist does not men that it is not racist.

And it is a social thing - black cops can be just as bad as white cops.

Edit:

If you don't believe me:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp...

From the article:

U.S. police officers have shot and killed the exact same number of unarmed white people as they have unarmed black people: 50 each. But because the white population is approximately five times larger than the black population, that means unarmed black Americans were five times as likely as unarmed white Americans to be shot and killed by a police officer.

And we wonder why the black community does not trust the police . . . when the answer is right in front of us.   If the police killed unarmed white people at the same rate they kill unarmed black people - then you would be terrified of being stopped by the police too.

• well remember everyone in BLM is racist.   anything that judges by color is racist

it cuts both ways

My guess, based on my own experiences,

is about 20%.

When someone sees another human approaching them,

on the street,

that is about the percentage

whose first thought is

"What is the race of this approaching person?"

More important than

male of female?

gay or straight?

young or old?

hostile or friendly?

drunk or sober?

etc.

We sort our entire repertoire

of emotional and social reactions to strangers,

based upon our top sorting priority.

--

Regards,

John Popelish

• Pete

We must live in different parts of the country.  Here in the South, the number is much, much higher than 1 or 2%.