Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 weeks ago

Making fried rice without fresh onion. Will it taste good ?

I don’t have onions I only have onion powder and craving hibachi style fried rice . Will it taste great with the onion powder instead 

• Jerry

Are you one of those people who feels like "If it doesn't have onion, then it doesn't have a good flavor"? If not, you can probably just skip the onion. If yes, whether your dish made with onion power tastes good would depend on how good your onion powder is how well you use it. 

Sure, that will work. If you have celery, I would use that to add the missing fresh onion texture.

• kswck2

Use the onion powder, but it will be missing a certain crunch. 

• It may be okay, but I can guarantee you will be back on here complaining that you can't make fried rice like the hibachi restaurants do.

if you are satisfying a craving then I doubt that you will miss the onion. 

You can make fried rice with onion powder. It'll taste pretty decent but I like the onions for added texture

• denise

Try it and then you'll know,  If you have chives or scallions they will add the 'onion' vibe.  Experimenting with flavours can result in a 'tasty' dish.