Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 3 weeks ago

Before TV or renting movies, how could you rewatch your favorite movie or a film that you missed out on seeing in theaters?

Let say you live during the 1930s. And your love this film, but within a year, movie theaters across America eventually takes it down. But you would like to rewatch it again. How would you watch the movie again?

29 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

They didn't go away after one year. Reruns of films could see be seen at drive-ins or midnight movies or what was called the Saturday matinee for years after a film came out at the theaters.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Similar to the 1970's- you were out of luck. Before VCRs seeing a movie again meant you wait for it to be repeated on tv, then be there, present and centered, whenever it played- even if that means you see it listed at 2am in the tv guide. Looks like I'm not getting much sleep for work because I want to see that movie again..

In the 1930s you had to wait and see if they show it in the theaters again. If it wasn't a popular movie, you had the memory of it- and that's it. 

• John
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

film projector. how else? film had been around for a century by then here. they made copies you could buy.

• drip
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

In the 1930’s you had no way of watching it again. You may of gotten a second release after the Oscars.  Or a double feature.    Even in the 1970’s you couldn’t watch you favorite movie until months later when it came to TV. Sometimes drive in theaters would get the big movies months later. Or your small towns would get the new releases months after they were being shown in large major cities. 

I remember when VHS came out and my friends  uncle was paying $125 for one movie. We were so impressed. 

I miss movies being at a theater for weeks and weeks. By the time I find time to see a movie it is already gone from the theater. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Zapata
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

It wasn't  possible , unless a movie was re-released but that was extremely unusual. Seeing a movie again and again wasn't a thing back then.

• 3 weeks ago

You waited for a studio to re-release a film. 

• 3 weeks ago

If you are asking about a pre TV era, such as the 1930s, your only hope was for the studio to release that movie for a second go around at at least some theaters.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

There were for a long time, even into the 21st century, second run theaters that would show movies which weren't new releases.  Generally they'd show things which were a couple months old, at least recently.  But they might show older stuff.  Theaters back in the 30s probably did the same thing.  They might also show older films during "off peak" times for theater attendance.

• Phil
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

Theaters would sometimes play reruns of old movies.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You could  not watch it again.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.