The Celebration of Holi?

I've been doing research on Holi for a story and I've learned some of the meanings behind it, and the meanings of some of the colors, but in watching either movies or videos that deal with the celebration, I've seen some people "paint" one anothers' faces or feet, or both. They make it seem like there's a significant meaning behind it, but I haven't been able to find anything explaining it.

What is the reason they do it, or is it just something cinematic? I know one of the meanings of Holi is love, but like I said, I can't find any information about two people painting one another in powders and touching feet.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to have the correct information instead of guessing.

They just celebrate this by stealing police cars and burning them in front of the cops.

Although there are "deep" "spiritual" origins like all religious festivals, Holi is just a great spring festival where everyone goes crazy and enjoys a day of partying, celebration and general fun. I've been in 4 Holi festivities in Northern India. It's really good fun and general collective "insanity" lol.