Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 2 months ago

Will I be able to get braces?

Here's a little background info about me: I'm 33 years old. I wasn't taken to the dentist growing up but a few times. I didn't have dental insurance for years until now. I have a lot of cavities and recently had two of my top molars extracted. My teeth are crowded in the front, my canines aren't down where they belong and I have an overbite. Will those teeth that were extracted need to be replaced or will they help my teeth fit better in my mouth when I get braces? Sorry, no photo. I hate my teeth that much. Haha.

Hello, Braces will definitely be an option for you as long as you have healthy gums! Keep in mind before putting on the braces, you need to be cavity cleared, meaning you need to get all of your cavities filled by your dentist.

Extraction of your top molars should not cause a problem. You most likely will have two options, Either to get implants on those two missing molars before getting the braces put on, or you can get the implants when you're completely done with your orthodontics treatment and take your braces off, keep in mind that throughout your braces treatment you will get dental coils or something similar placed in where you have those missing molars to hold the space for a crown until when you take the braces off. However you still need to be seen by an orthodontist and he/she will discuss more with you. hope I helped.

• A

Only your dentist can answer this.

you might be able to, i would go see a dentist about it

• Sandy

No one here can tell you if braces are an option for you.

Make an appointment with an orthodontist, or even two different ones. Many offer the first visit at no charge. 

Only someone who can actually see your teeth and your xrays will be able to answer your questions.

Source(s): Orthodontic assistant with over 35 years of experience.