Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceSociology · 4 months ago

People say “work smart, not hard.” Isn’t that’s cheating? Isn’t hard work important for character?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • snafu
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Work efficiently.  If you’re expending more energy, time, brain power than necessary, then you’re working poorly.  You’re wasting energy, time and brain power.  Working hard for the sake of it is pointless if it’s poorly directed.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Work smart & not hard is not cheating. It is a way for you to do the work better than others. If you are smart, you don't have to work hard. If you are not smart, then you have to work hard. You must have at least either one of this character if not both.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Efficiency isn't cheating.

I, personally, use the motto "No. I don't look busy. I did it right, the first time".

• 4 months ago

"Working smarter, not harder" simply means shifting the work to something more efficient and effective than busting your back 8 hours a day.  It gives you greater endurance.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 months ago

I definitely got the hard work part down.  Not too smart in the end.  Now am old and unable to do hard work anymore.  Should have been a bit smarter and prepared for it.  

• Bobo
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Individual Character is not necessarily supported by "hard work".  Character is defined by good traits such as honesty, responsibility, integrity, self-control, etc.  A person with good character will make the effort regardless of whether it is "smart" or "hard" to achieve results. 

• Fred
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

I earn a wage to produce results.  

I'm not payed, inspired, nor encouraged to work hard nor work smart.  I make machines for other people's employment regardless of effort my goal is to produce tangible results with minimum investment.

I've made my employer massive amounts of money... and for me personally... that's about working as dumb as you can get! 

... but that's about personalities and we are very opposite; but it works and one of us couldn't succeed without the other.. without each other: both of us would be nothing!  

• 4 months ago

So is someone who uses a computer rather than etching messages in stone cheating?

Is someone who uses a plow instead of digging with their bare hands cheating?

Is someone who drives to work instead of walking cheating?

If so, then absolutely.  However, there is nothing wrong with using your brain to come up with more efficient and effective ways of completing tasks than what was traditional.  Working hard is for the stupid.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Work smarter, not harder is not cheating.

• Fin
    Lv 4
    4 months ago

You're not necessarily shirking hard work by working more efficiently - which is more the concept of the phrase.   

e.g. it's better to dig a ditch with a backhoe than a shovel.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.