Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 3 weeks ago

Do you believe in postpartum depression?

My wife has been recently diagnosed with postpartum depression and has a hard time getting out of bed. I don’t really believe in it. She is just overwhelmed with the baby and life in general. 

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Carrie
    Lv 4
    2 weeks ago

It is a real thing. Take her seriously and take care of her. 

• sdc_99
    Lv 5
    2 weeks ago

The Mayo Clinic believes in it.  Essentially all medical personnel believe in it.  She was diagnosed by someone who is presumably qualified to do so.  Why do you believe you know something they don't?

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Try carrying a fetus in your body for nine months, sharing a body with the fetus, be wacked out on hormones and then shove the baby out of your peepee. My god man. I feel bad for your wife. 

• 3 weeks ago

So let's say you don't believe in broken legs, and your wife breaks her leg. Is it not broken because you don't believe in it?

Your wife has a genuine medical condition. You're not being helpful by saying you "don't really believe in it." Talk to her doctor about what you can do.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Yes. It happens. And people should seek help or treatment

• 3 weeks ago

Post-partum depression is real, can be incredibly debilitating and is not a myth. It's not simply being OVERWHELMED--it's a brain-chemistry imbalance similar to acute depression. It can also deepen into a psychosis and needs to be treated right away before that happens, as that psychosis may become permanent. Please don't discount this. It's not just being pressured by changes--it's very very REAL. Treatment is effective if done quickly.  Please do NOT ignore this. 

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Kinda, but I have a feeling women use that as an excuse to get away with things. My husband works and I stay home, that's my job. If he weren't working we wouldn't have what we have. I don't have time to be depressed. I cry, I stress, I am unhappy sometimes but stuff needs to get done in the house. I have 3 kids. Maybe PPD does hit women different and I'm wrong. And if I am wrong, I am glad I did not get PPD. My smallest is 8mo. Everyone is different. Only way to know for sure what is going on with her is to ask her. Ask her how you can help. She may need professional help.

• 3 weeks ago

It’s real, very real, you need to help your wife. 

• ron h
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

it exists. And you're contributing to it.

• 3 weeks ago

Yes I do because it's a fact.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.