Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCommuting · 2 months ago

Is 50 miles a long commute for a job?

• F

I did a 40 mile each way commute for 9 years and a 75 each way for one year ( in between 10 years of 1/4 mile to work).

It really wears you down not to mention costs a lot and wears your car out prematurely .

• fuzzy

Open road, about an hour each way. Many people spend much more time commuting in heavy traffic daily. (I believe the record commute was a past chairman of the BBC & travelled from North Wales to London daily) Chauffeur driven of course.

I am guessing you mean 1 way.  It is NOT SOMETHING I WOULD DO. just because there is a ton of jobs you drove past on your way to get there.  You are WEARING OUT YOUR CAR AND PAYING FOR GAS AND MAINTENANCE AND GETTING UP EARLY JUST TO GET TO WORK ON TIME.

I WOULD NOT DO THAT FOR A WHORE HOUSE AND ALL THE WHORES ARE FREE FOR EMPLOYEES plus the beer of course.   I would try to find accommodations closer to the job site if I must go.  My time is important to ME.  Life is too short to be spending it driving.

50 miles one way or 50 miles round trip?

50 round trip is a bit much, but 50 one way is excessive.  It would have to be a really good job - because a chunk of your money is going to be going towards transportation.  Unless you've got (and want to use) public transportation, that's going to mean having a reliable car, regular oil changes, tires, gas, etc.

The longest commute I've ever had was 21 miles (one way).  It was for a really good job, but it did start to grind on me after a while.  I went in early to avoid traffic, but in the afternoons it was a mess - even if I left early.  I watched so many wrecks happen because of distracted people and other bad drivers.

I changed jobs about 4-1/2 years ago, and now my commute is only about 11-12 miles now, and while I don't have to get on the Interstate, the parkway I have to drive on has regular wrecks as well (although it's been a lot lighter with schools closed and some people not working and/or working from home).

Yes! Geez, why would you take a job like that?

Just go out and get another one closer to you!

Ughhh...I don’t get it....

Depends on year round weather, type of highway available and salary. Remember, tire-wear will be higher.

Depends on the salary.

Yes.  I would not consider doing it.

• Jay P

50 miles total or each way?  Driving primarily on sparsely travelled roads or in heavily congested traffic?

It makes a huge difference troll.

Yes.  100 miles a day,  500 miles a week,  2000 miles a month.   24000 miles a year.   Way over the usual 15000 miles they usually give for yearly car use.