Why isn't classic literature taught in American high schools?

• Ludwig

It is.  You are taught classic American literature.   Mockingbird in the rye. 

Why would you think it isn't being taught, Michael? It certainly was taught when I was in school. I grew up reading the works of authors like Clemens, Dickens, Hawthorne, Hemingway, Bronte, and many more. I also had to read Harper Lee's famous novel "To Kill a Mockingbird" and watch the Academy Award winning film that was made from it in my high school English class. When I was in the 6th grade, one of our class assignments was to read Wilson Rawls's famous novel "Where the Red Fern Grows". I still have a copy of that book on my shelf at home, because I loved it so much. Yes, it's sad, but it's also a wonderful morality play that teaches a lot of life lessons. 

It is. What makes you think it isn't? 

• sam

It depends what you mean by classic.

I had a lot of Shakespeare, some Jane Austen, Bronte, Orwell, Poe, Twain, Kafka, Sartre, Hugo and Camus. 

Just off the top of my head

• drip

It is at our school district 

It would interrupt the gang warfare. Plus, there would be rioting because so few Nigerian writers were included.