What causes a floating shelf to have it's screws in the wall loosen overtime?

Even if I never apply pressure or put anything too heavy on there

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

The problem with those shelves is they are not meant for any weight.

They make a good accept for a 2 oz nicknack

• 4 months ago

its an odd one floating shelves are just that ..floating ..just sitting on brackets ..so are you saying the brackets keep coming loose? ..im a builder in uk ..did a lot of work for government helping disabled people ..one of the jobs would be to fit stair.rails ..these must be very secure ..even into drywall ..so for these i used drywall SPIRALS  ..alloy spirals screwed them into drywall then secured the brackets by screwing self tapping screws into centre of spiral ...never had a failure 

• 4 months ago

WEIGHT. The Shelf itself has weight.

I suspect the screws were not properly secured to anything that can actually handle even the weight of the shelf. Screws into drywall will eventually pull out with very little weight. You need either an anchor that spreads out behind the drywall, or a stud for proper mounting.

• 4 months ago

Vibrations.   You might have to use the type of anchor that goes thru the drywall and then expands on the other side via spring.    You might also make sure you put the screws into a stud and not just into the drywall.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 months ago

Over how much time ?  There is no good reason that a properly-installed shelf which has not been abused by excessive pressure or impact should "grow" loose if it was not so to begin with.  Overall, I would say that it was not properly mounted to begin with.  Whatever, you need to take it down and get it done properly.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

If it is over a radiator, temperature fluctuations can do that. If it is from Ikea the screws will be undersized (as they always seem to be). 

• 4 months ago

weak construction in the wall.  and weight at all is some pressure to remove the screws --

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Floating shelves are gimmicky to begin with and their means of attachment isn't great.  I'm not surprised that they would loosen up.  Seasonal movement of materials combined with marginal construction could easily answer for this problem.

• 4 months ago

Could be the screws used aren't long enough to support even the weight of the shelf itself.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Weak wall, heave shelf heavy, items on the shelf, someone using the shelf as a support, etc

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.