Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEarth Sciences & Geology · 2 months ago

If the earth is trillions of year old then how did it not decay?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • martin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Decay is a chemical reaction, whereas the physical reactions of plates and oceans is like a living thing element, rather than a dying thing in decay.

• Tom
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Organic Materials---Silicates, carbonates, etc. Do not decay (Save for radioactive elements)  Decaying is what ORGANIC compounds, like those that make up Plants and animals do.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The earth is only about 4.5 billion years old, not trillions of years old. Decay happens all the time. Mountains are worn down by weather, for example. However, because of the energy from sunlight, the earth can also regenerate itself. Energy below the earth moves plates of ground and they push up mountains, before the mountains are worn down again. Therefore constant renewal and decay balance each other out. 

• 2 months ago

It isn't, and most elements do not decay so even if it were, it would not have decayed.  I would, however, expect the earth to be quite different from its current state after trillions of years, if it were to still exist (which is unlikely).  I am not certain which possible meaning of "decay" you are wishing to impart, so this does complicate how I can answer.  The earth does not decay by most meanings of that word.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Earth is NOT trillions  of years old.  Earth is around 4.5 to4.6t billion years old. The. Universe is only 13.8 years old. Earth still has isotopes of uranium that's decaying with half lives of 4.65 billion years. If Earth was trillions of YEARS old. all of that uranium would have turned to lead. 

Your facts are wrong and uncoordinated. 

• 2 months ago

why would you think it would decay? what do you mean by that word? things don't decay unless their structure is unstable and they are in an environment that promotes that. 

and it is about 5 billion years old, not trillions. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.